Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator For Well Pump?
shaff
# Posted: 22 May 2022 17:53

Here is what I have now, a 110 submersible pump plugged into a gas 6500w generator. Going to replace it with a propane remote start generator so I don't have go out and pull the cord rain or shine to pump up the pressure when it's down or out. My big question is about starting under load as the pump is plugged in all the time and has been ok with the old set-up but, I guess not recommended on the manufactures write-ups. The only thing this gen powers is the pump and a new remote start would be nice but if have to go out to the shed to plug or unplug the pump it defeats the purpose of a remote start.

Brettny
# Posted: 22 May 2022 18:51

There has to be a way to add a time delay relay or something in the pump circuit if your that worried about it.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 22 May 2022 22:04

I also think most of the remote start generators have a delay after starting before providing power.

If I recall correctly, the remote start champion I was looking at had a 10 or 15 second delay when starting via the remote

shaff
# Posted: 23 May 2022 07:37

I was wondering about that because if you could start the gen from 80 feet away your load would already be hooked up.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 May 2022 11:27

I bought a new Champion Inverter Generator (4650W) and that is a quite capable generator, I used it instead of my big 9kw Genny which TBH is a thirsty monster and as my solar backup it's overkill and "not clean" as it is an Inverter type.

When it starts, it takes approximately 10 Seconds before it enables the outlets as it precharges its inverter to deliver the power. It ramps up very nicely & smoothly and I hafta say, pretty darn quiet too !

This is the US Version with Dual-Fuel (Gas/LPG) and DO check out the prices.
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200994-4650-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/

TSC (Tractor Supply) has them for $999
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion-power-equipment-4650-watt-portable -dual-fuel-inverter-generator-with-quiet-technology-200994-1645741?utm_source=pepperj am&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=pepperjam-affiliate-61806&affiliate_id=61806&click_id=397 3972790&clickId=3973972790

I have never had ANY Major issue with any champion Tool / Genny but I am religious about maintenance and after break-in, I switch to 0W50 Synthetic Oil and then change oil @ 75Hrs instead of 50 for conventional and you can still see through it... With LPG it's a little different.

zorro
# Posted: 23 May 2022 11:40

I have my well pump hooked up to my Westinghouse generator and I switch it on via the remote start option

Pump is permanently switched on

My pump;

Goulds 10HS05422C 4" Submersible Water Well Pump, 10 GPM, 1/2 HP, 230 V, 2 Wire

Generator

Westinghouse 7500DF

My well is at a depth of 410' and the pump submerged to around 100' I believe

Only items I have running off the generator is the well and some "high capacity outlets" (coffee machine, hair drier, vacuum cleaner)

And have never had any issues

Only issue right now is the remote start is a little temperamental for some reason (have changed the battery in the remote but no luck) - most times it works, but maybe 1 in 10 I need to go out and press the start button for some reason

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.