Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lovin my LFP
gcrank1
# Posted: 25 May 2022 12:45 - Edited by: gcrank1

Wow!
These 100Ah LFP bats have sooo much power to use and sooo user friendly. I still have not hooked up my solar, just hooked up a bat in-cabin, clipped on the psw inverter and have 120vac every time I want it.
Too Easy!
All that futzin with Lead Acid bats is NOT missed.
These are the 3rd best thing after getting the Champion 1700/2000W inv/gen and the PSW inverter for the bat-bank.
Seriously, anybody considering getting solar for small-scale I suggest getting an LFP battery first, using it for a while while you sort out what else you 'might' want to do. So much on tap and light enough to haul home to recharge.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 25 May 2022 14:55

Agreed!

I just replaced my (2) 205AH Costco Golf Cart Batteries w/ a DIY 170ah LFP. Oh my, how much faster it charges

Will have to see this winter if I need to do anything about keeping them warm enough to charge. But, for the most part, if I'm at the cabin when it is that cold, I'm either out hunting all day or doing work and would be using the generator anyway...

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 May 2022 15:22

Been happy with my Chins LiFePo4 batteries I got to replace the Chevy Volt modules that went south last winter.

Bought 4 x 24v, 200ah and wired to 48v, 400ah. We are using right at 30% per day (should say evening/night) so theoretically we would have 2 maybe 3 days reserve.... more likely 2 days. We go to bed around 9pm and the batteries read 53.0v (55.2v is Float according to Chins parameters... a little low I think) and reads, often 53.0v in the morning.... sometimes 52.9v. That's with the satellite internet on all night! Impressed!

May add 2 more, when the budget will allow, to get 600ah and another day or two reserve.

Yes it's a lot of ah but we live here.... we jokingly refer to our place on a cul-de-sac in AZ as the "cabin" because we haven't spent more than 2.5 months there per year in the last 3 years. Here at this "cabin" we have an electric fridge, freezer, 40" TV, and satellite internet. Obviously lights, charging, etc.

paulz
# Posted: 25 May 2022 18:18

Yep a big improvement, especially if you are hauling them back and forth. Besides the weight savings, when I was hauling FLAs back and forth all my jeans had acid holes where they rubbed on my legs. I still have 10 pairs of jean cutoffs.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 May 2022 09:29

Lithium is a definite if your hauling them. Granted I left my FLA all winter and came back to full batteries.

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 May 2022 21:31

We spent the past two days at the cabin with a movie on the old tube tv c/w vcr (kind of an energy hog) before bed. We ran everything we wanted off the LFP with the low draw 300W psw inverter.
The bat integral dig voltmeter read 13.3v when we got there (that bat has been there for 3 or 4 day trips before) and when running stuff went down to 13.1v under load but was at 13.3 after resting today before we left.
Yeah, voltage is not the best way to evaluate an LFP, but bouncing back up to 13.3v sure shows Im not down at 13.0 or less.
Id run the water pump but the bucket works fine.
Fridge? Another hog; we use a Yeti clone icebox. My home-froze ice bottles last and last.
Enough beans to run a microwave? No, I start the little Champ gen for the few minutes IF we want/need to use it (700W unit) or any other high-draw, short use device; no big deal.
Wife is good with all of this too

gcrank1
# Posted: 28 May 2022 21:34

SCSJeff, how about keeping an inexpensive 'marine/leisure' battery around to stick on there for the winter?

SCSJeff
# Posted: 31 May 2022 09:32

Quoting: gcrank1
SCSJeff, how about keeping an inexpensive 'marine/leisure' battery around to stick on there for the winter?

Maybe... But, I have the battery inside a dead chest freezer inside my shed. I'm thinking I can setup a 12v heater on a temp controller inside there and that will be enough. But, I'm going to wait and see just how cold it gets in there once the battery is being used.

Worst case, I'll bring the battery home (or even inside the cabin in a pinch) to charge

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.