Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Temporary Solar
travellerw
# Posted: 26 May 2022 23:08 - Edited by: travellerw

I have been working from my cabin this week so I can try and get the mudding finished in the evenings. It really bothered me that I would be running the generator a bunch to ensure my hardware was up and running. Then it dawned on me, "Hey dummy you have all the gear for a solar system, why not use it?"

So I brought one panel, the controller and a small inverter with me. I used my "calibrated" eyeball to set the angle on the panel and drove some iron into the ground to secure it (the top is secured to the 5th using ratchet straps). Bam, a Ghetto solar setup.

Its easily provided enough power for me this week. However there is some tweaking to do as I have only seen 265W MAX out of that panel and its a 360W panel. I don't think the angle is right and there is some shading.

Anyway.. I thought I would post a pic!
282300402_1015830502.jpg
282300402_1015830502.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 May 2022 23:15

Shading BAD
Angle not so much
Ime, 70-75% out of a panels 'under ideal lab conditions rating' is pretty good.
Moving the panel orientation through the day will capture a bit more hours.
Not bad results for rural ghetto

Brettny
# Posted: 27 May 2022 08:54

My whole setup is temporary..I knew that going in so I built a exterior box to hold the inverter and CC. This weekend I'm going to add another 235w pannel to the two I have.

Batteries in there own box too. If/when we ever start to build a real cabin I can just screw the setup on the side of the cabin.
20210502_200732.jpg
20210502_200732.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 May 2022 10:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

Wow, Brett, how do you get enough sun? Looks like a lot of cover there.
Trav, the simplest ground mount is an 'A frame', a pair of 2x4 x 8' legs attached to the panel with another pair bolted at the top to swing back and provide adjustable angle. I mounted my panels in pairs horizontal and put my pivot bolts down from top about 9" so when staged there is a V there to run a tie-down cinch-strap through to ground screws.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 May 2022 14:50

Quoting: gcrank1
Wow, Brett, how do you get enough sun? Looks like a lot of cover there.

Put the shed on the south end of the "clearing" and aim the pannels at the opening in the sky. I only get 3hrs of sun on the pannels in the summer. I actualy get more useable sun in the winter with no leafs.

travellerw
# Posted: 30 May 2022 11:18

Well I'm happy to report that one panel was able to provide enough power for my lights (all LED), my laptop and my MIFI device. Even at the reduced numbers I was seeing. Its a tough pill to swallow as in the Carrib we would see full panel rating (and often over the panel rating). Even cheap Amazon panels would often produce more than they were rated for. The sun strength and angles are just different up here.

I'm actually going to start putting together the frames for a permanent installation next week. I have a bunch of spare angle iron lying around that I will be using. I'm most worried about wind as the install location if unprotected and the panels are big (5ftX3ft). I working on a scheme to anchor them to the ground so they don't blow over in a storm.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 May 2022 14:16

Thus the oft touted 'over-panel' thing in the northern climes. Not so bad when one has the space other than it means more mountings and wiring.
We had been conscious of elec use and reduced usage with the old AGMs and the followup used 'marine/leisure' bats.
Now, with the LFP Im expanding usage and seeing what else I can run. Absolutely extravagant!

Brettny
# Posted: 31 May 2022 10:08

I did get that 3rd 235w pannel put up this weekend and man did that make a huge difference. Generaly my batteries are full after about 1.5hrs of sun running a mini fridge and lights.

paulz
# Posted: 31 May 2022 10:24

Somebody mention over-panel?

At left you can see a panel on the cabin roof. Six more there.

I need an electric car..
20220513_124437.jpg
20220513_124437.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.