Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New Inlet Power Wiring
gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2022 13:22 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ive been meaning to get to this for the past two years, finally did it on Fri.
The prev owner had 14Ga wire as the inlet power to the cabin. Our stuff has run fine, even the 700W microwave off the inv/gen. All the charts say 14 is fine for our loads. And I had about a 100'run.
But, Ive had some 12ga. waiting in the wings.....
Rewired with the 12 and hooked the gen up about 10' away outside. Too noisy but handy for a short run time.
I think the microwave spooled up and cooked a bit faster. I'll try it next time with another 12ga. ext. out another 25' into the woods.
I do have about 50' of camper power cord (10ga/30a?) though I think it overkill for what we use.
Anyway, dont go 'too light' feeding the cabin The First Time, the work is pretty much the same to use heavier gauge wire.

DartNorth
# Posted: 30 May 2022 02:37

Quoting: gcrank1
Anyway, dont go 'too light' feeding the cabin The First Time, the work is pretty much the same to use heavier gauge wire.

Nothing more permanent than a temporary fix! lol

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 May 2022 14:18 - Edited by: gcrank1

Aint it so!
The guy that built our place apparently never really 'finished' anything; if it was good enough to sorta work it was good enough. Everything Ive had to dig into has been this way so Ive come to expect it.....and everything Ive re-done has been better though some is still 'temp'.

Brettny
# Posted: 31 May 2022 10:09

A 100ft extension cord can quite a generator prety nicely. A 12g100' name brand cord is about $70 in today's price.

gcrank1
# Posted: 31 May 2022 10:44 - Edited by: gcrank1

I lucked out a couple years ago when a local store sold out, got a pair of the 12ga. cords for about 1/2 price.
With with the 50' of RV cord and them I can get the gen well away.
Thing is, for the little we actually use it for cabin living (sans power tools,,etc.) having it close isnt bad, easy to get to to start and shut down.
If we were running it steady it surely would be farther away even though it is pretty quiet (Db close to the Honda EU series.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.