Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Do's and Dont's of Venting a Instant Hot System
actionshooter
# Posted: 15 Aug 2022 00:44

I'm installing a Blaze King 10l in my shower house, seperate from my cabin but it is a semi enclosed structure... The BK is sold as a outdoor shower, but its what I have so need to figure out a safe way to vent it.

This is the unit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096YJGN5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_1D0YQD4V1Q9WKV5G73ZA_0?_encodi ng=UTF8&psc=1&fbclid=IwAR0elOXWBOfxP60pHKTka0tSFDxDFMx7XFf1b7yRBypLdE3g6HRiozzc9Eo

Has anyone had to do this and how did you run the pipe? Double wall I assume, can it just 90* out the wall?

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 15 Aug 2022 07:04

Lot’s of good info in this previous thread.

actionshooter
# Posted: 15 Aug 2022 23:54

Thanks!

Fanman
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 12:46

I've never been one to follow the rules too religiously, but a gas appliance is not something to mess with... follow the manufacturer's instructions and put it outside.

Adding any kind of vent extension when it wasn't designed for it may interfere with the draft, putting CO2 (bad) or CO (worse) into the air. Also rubber gas supply lines should never be used indoors or through a wall.

Not doing it to code could also invalidate your insurance, if you have any.

MJH
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 14:42

I'll just go ahead and leave this here for further discussion on the topic. (It's... scary).

https://youtu.be/WTuCXFF3sJE?t=893

FishHog
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 15:06

The thing with on demand hot water heater’s is they run for a few minutes at most.
Mine is un vented in my bathroom. I had 4 guys shower back to back with the door closed and my gas detector didn’t pick up any CO

It’s not like a furnace where it’s running while your Asleep

Im way more concerned with my propane oven running for hours and there is no way to vent it. It will actually emit some co but it’s low levels

Everyone has their own comfort level but I don’t know how it would be possible to expose yourself to any real level of CO using an on demand hot water unit

Fanman
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 20:20 - Edited by: Fanman

Remember that while they don't run for a long time, they typically use gas (and thus produce fumes) at a high rate while they are running.

The manufacturer doesn't say "outdoor use only" just on a whim.

actionshooter
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 00:15

I found some B-vent that worked out really well... should have it up and running this weekend.

I think I have a really good plan going now and will post some picks when it's done.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.