Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / interior fan powered by dedicated exterior solar panel
Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 08:38 - Edited by: Tim_Ohio

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend, from your experience, a fan that can circulate the air in my cabin and is connected to a dedicated solar panel that would obviously be wired to the outside of the cabin. I'm thinking it could be fixed to the roof or gable end. My objective is to just move the air to keep the interior from having a musty smell, since I'm not always there to open it up to air it out.

There are a lot of these available, but once again, it's like the lottery, picking one that actually works well and lasts a long time. I'm hoping someone here has had luck with a good one.

Also, I'm not expecting to install one that operates off of a battery. It only needs to run when it gets sunlight. I think that's enough to keep things a little more fresh.

Thanks so much, in advance.

Best to all.

Tim_Ohio

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 08:59

I don't own an RV nor am I an expert on this topic but I know they make solar powered fans/vents specific to your needs. Just do a google search for "solar rv vent fan"...

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 09:19 - Edited by: gcrank1

Fwiw
We had the 'closed up issues' in the cabin until we changed our ways. This year has been great!
No running fan (totally off-grid) when not there
I used the old thru the gable end 6" stovepipe hole as a peak vent; it was there. Imo the vent hole(s), whatever they are, need to be high up.
We keep two windows partly open low.
Natural convection keeps the air moving.
It took only a little bit to figure out how much to keep the windows opened, had to be more than a crack.
Security? Well, 'pin' the window or? Fact is, all someone has to do is break a closed window anyway...
We get there and the inside is fresh and cooler than outside by a bit; comfy actually. We open the windows and door all the way for cross ventilation right away.
Btw, I do have a 7" small 'clamp on' fan that I can use to power-vent out the pipe if needed while we are there but we only used it a couple times this past summer.
If the air is still inside we run the cheap 4 blade ceiling fan (120vac); note that 12v units are available. I invert off our 12v battery to 120 for everything we use now.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 10:08

That's interesting, a solar panel connected fan without a battery? It must have some circuitry so it isn't receiving current but not enough to spin it? Or maybe it's brushless?

The ones I'm seeing are 4", kinda small.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 10:18

The DC motor speed is variable on most models and will slow down with less sunlight. My wife has a pond pump with a dedicated solar panel that kind of sputters with cloudy conditions, then perks up with full sun light.

Tim

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 12:47

Wouldn't a solar attic fan be appropriate? ONE OF THESE I would think a small one would do what you need. As GC pointed out, you will need a window or two cracked open to draw air through.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Aug 2022 15:49

Quoting: Nobadays
Wouldn't a solar attic fan be appropriate?

Looks like the ticket for Tim, and maybe me. Interests me for my shop, which on occasion will have morning condensation on the contents, particularly on a sunny morning after a wet or foggy night. It is well ventilated but never any breeze to speak of. I like the idea of having a fan run only when there is solar power available, and no battery to worry about.

I have a 12v ceiling fan kicking around, identical to this 'solar' one pictured. Used it, on battery power, before I went to a 110v fan in the cabin. I just tried it on the solar panel on my UTV and little PWM controller, it works, at least in sunlight. I also tried it on a 6v battery, hums but no spin.

So I know it will operate in sunshine, my question is, when panel output is below what's needed, will the 12v controller stop output so the fan won't hum and burn out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203998381073
Screenshot_2022082.png
Screenshot_2022082.png

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 21 Aug 2022 07:04

Yeah, I’m thinking I’ll tape a furnace filter to the back to act as an air purifier as well. A lot of dust from building the cabin is sure to be in the stagnant air, as well.

Tim

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Aug 2022 08:36

Natural convection has worked for hundreds of years and won’t break or need replacement.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Aug 2022 08:46 - Edited by: gcrank1

Even typical window screening for insects, etc reduces air flow a lot. I used a scrap of something with about 1/2" mesh on my gable-end outlet to keep out 'big things'.
I know my forced air furnace flows a lot more air when the filter isnt in place; of course it has a BIG fan.
Imo, just let the vent kick the dust outside.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Aug 2022 11:31

Quoting: paulz
So I know it will operate in sunshine, my question is, when panel output is below what's needed, will the 12v controller stop output so the fan won't hum and burn out?

To answer my own question, with a shaded panel and the little PWM controller (no battery), my fan does the same thing it did with the 6v battery, hum and move a touch back and forth. Can't be good for it, even though it's brushless. Must be something special about the complete kits.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.