Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Take Care With Your Solar...
Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 1 Sep 2022 14:30

I just read Amazon is stopping use of their solar systems on the roof of their buildings because of an
unacceptable number of incidents of fires. Be careful with your solar installments. Your systems are far simpler, I imagine, however it's still worth caution.

paulz
# Posted: 1 Sep 2022 15:49 - Edited by: paulz

Gulp. Read a bit about it, caused by 'hot spots' is all I picked up. Connections, wires, panels themselves?

Talks about infrared heat imaging for detection, I wonder if shooting my infrared temp gun around my system is worth it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Sep 2022 16:04

Im quite sure the install inspections and code-compliance they had were stringent, but even some of the 'code' Ive seen appears to not fully understand solar.
A bunch of stuff on RV forums is horror stories about the so called professionally installed rv solar; like it doesnt perform near to what was said or found to be very poorly done when they have to get it redone.
How many small scale, diy, setups are properly fused?
Cheap 'Pacific Rim' circuit breakers on dc that cant protect at close to advertised capacity seems common over on diysolarforum.com.
Fuses are preferred to cb's.
Dc arcs are sustained compared to ac and can bridge a blow-out but cheap cb's on even ac are no bargain, on dc they are scary.
Proper grounding of arrays comes up regular, too, along with 'how many grounds, what grounds with what, etc.' for the other components.
Quite a few electricians and even elec engineers are not 'solar literate'! Its a whole nuther ball game and the only place it looks like ac knowledge and experience come in handy is after you invert the dc to ac. And being a 12v or 24v vehicle mech/ser tech only goes just so far with the dc side of solar.
Thing is, its still electricity and once the magic smoke is let out you cant get it back in.....

ICC
# Posted: 1 Sep 2022 17:50

Not that would diminish the potential dangers, but this may be old news.

Between April 2020 and June 2021, Amazon did have several fires whose cause were determined to be the fault of the installer. Amazon had a contract with one firm which was found to be at fault, IIRC.

FWIW, Walmart also had a string of solar system fires on some stores from 2012 to 2019 or so. Those were the fault of the installer SolarCity, the companyTesla bought. Telsa was sued by Walmart. No idea of what was determined to be the exact cause, but it was one company.

Apparently fires with solar panel installations have increased in number in the past decade. However, the number of installations has also increased. Comparative data is difficult to source. I believe injuries involving electric toasters increased as they became more common.

OTOH, a friend of mine has installed almost 500 systems over a couple of decades and has never had a fire.

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Sep 2022 22:30

Quoting: ICC
I believe injuries involving electric toasters increased as they became more common.

👍

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 08:40

Yesterday it was 95F at the cabin. My solar panels, in full sun, were at 140F, using the temp gun. I guess that's normal, as they soak up the sun's energy. Bit of a surprise though.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 09:44

If installing a Solar System (DIY) there are many things NOT to compromise on. Fuses, and Breakers are at the top of the list of course.

Like my own system, whenever someone is asking about what fuses or breakers to go with I tell them to NOT Skimp.

Breakers: Carlington Technologies. https://www.carlingtech.com/circuit-protection
Fuses: Bussman/Little Fuse. * Now Owned by EATON who is buying up all the good producers.

Battery Terminal Lugs can also be an issue, so I recommend SelTerm Tinned with closed ends only. https://selterm.com/

Crimping is also a problem if not done properly, always make sure that crimps are perfect... A 6-10 Ton Hydraulic Crimper can handle most jobs but when you get really big or "odd" that get's tricky. IWISS produces crimpers for every purpose and are Top Notch product which gives you solid crimps.
https://iwiss.com/product-category/cable-tools/crimping-tools/

There are any places that something can go wrong and so the Devil is in the Details and making sure everything is correct & proper. Even torquing screws & nuts is important, it only take One Loose connection to create Havoc.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 18:51

Looks like I need to address a couple of MC4 connectors. I have 6 awg cables running from the SCC (screw terminals) at the cabin to 3 way MC4 Ys at the array. I'm reading online that MC4s are rated at 20 or 30A, I see up to 40A at times. Maybe replace with screw terminal bus bars.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 20:04

Wonder if brief high amp loads are ok as long as not sustained?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.