Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / LB Generator Regulator
paulz
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 15:16 - Edited by: paulz

Trying to get my Onan LP genny going. It came with this regulator, Garret model KN. It says the max inlet pressure is 8 oz.. Propane tank, I'm reading is around 150 psi depending on temp.. How much is that in ounces? Trying to figure out if this is the only regulator I need.
20221005_170810.jpg
20221005_170810.jpg

pabear89
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 19:08

there needs to be a high pressure regulator from the propane tank that attaches to the demand reg you have shown in that pic.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 20:19

OK thanks, I had a feeling maybe..

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 21:29

That tank are you wanting to run off of?

paulz
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 21:45

Regular 20lb. tank. The Onan manual also states:

Use clean, fresh HD-5 grade liquified petroleum gas or equivalent product consisting of at least 90 percent propane. Commercial liquified petroleum gas fuels may contain more than 2.5 percent butane which can result in poor fuel vaporization and poor engine starting in low ambient temperatures (below 32° F (0° C).

Assuming the LP I get at the gas station (Suburban Propane) qualifies.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Oct 2022 10:13 - Edited by: gcrank1

As I recall, butane, and/or perhaps butane mixes, are used where temps rarely if ever get below 32*f. This has been discovered by rv'ers who come to Wisconsin from the south in the cold months and their LP equipment doesnt work because their cylinders are butane filled. I dont think there really is any tuning of the appliances to burn either propane or butane, it isnt at all like the diff between propane and natural gas.
The LP conversion stuff Ive looked at to retrofit on my old gen appeared to have a typical bbq grill regulator and a needle valve to tune the intake gas flow. The regulator wasnt even a dual-stage (a dbl bodied one piece unit). I have pulled a couple of those off of junked out big bbq units at the local recycle center. The 1st stage drops the cylinder pressure well down so the 2nd stage (same as a typical sgl unit) doesnt have to work so hard. Its a safety thing. My guess is that one of those would work on your rig?
Ive never had an Onan or an rv with the built-in LP tank so I dont know about if the tank has what amounts to a 1st stage reg on it, thinking maybe so.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.