Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Pitcher Pump in Winter in Wi
mbturner
# Posted: 8 Oct 2022 22:36

Hi.

We just had a well drilled at our cabin in Central Wi. I want to put a pitcher pump on the 6" well casing. My question is, wont the leathers freeze? Or do they still function if they freeze? When we are done pumping, we plan to lift the handle so the water in the pipe drains back down. What else am I missing? Planning on using the K2 pump and K2 well seal from home depot. TIA.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Oct 2022 06:41

How deep is the static water level? Those dont work so well with more than 20' of head.

Yes they freeze.

mbturner
# Posted: 9 Oct 2022 08:24

Static water level is 12'. Casing is 18" above grade.

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Oct 2022 18:05

Quoting: mbturner
wont the leathers freeze?

I've read Neetsfoot oil which is made from cow bones, or distilled olive oil or vegetable oil. If the leather is oiled well freezing shouldn't be an issue especially if you let it drain.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 10:41 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Heck I would try it what u got to lose

WILL1E
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 12:39

I planned to pull mine and cap it. I've got a check valve directly below my pitcher pump (i got the one from Menards). My thought is it only takes a few minutes to remove/install it. I'll keep the pump inside and if i get desperate, i can run out, remove the cap and throw the pump on. If it works, great, if not, just remove it.

Once i put the electric tank on next spring, i need to think through how i can make the water work year around. But i've got enough on my plate for this fall!

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 15:33

You can run a simple pvc 'bucket' down that casing and have a check valve in the bottom (look up online for the process).
Decide how much water and 'bucket' weight you want to pull back up. The calc is online for the dia. of pipe and the volume of water per foot).
You pop the cap, drop the bucket down, it fills and as you lift the water weight closes the check valve. Pull it out and dump into a carry bucket. It might actually be quicker and easier than pumping that pitcher pump handle.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.