Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Laundry Options
<< . 1 . 2 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Nov 2022 13:38

Do NOT use automotive anti-freeze! It is poison and should not be put on/into the ground.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Nov 2022 15:46

Quoting: salarguy
Adding straight antifreeze directly to the tub and waiting for rinse to finish wouldn't work, eh?

By golly you might have something there! I would still try to get some through the fill hose too incase there is water on that side.

Yep..l use RV anti freeze only!

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Nov 2022 16:37

Ive had issues in our Wisconsin old house basement corner where the washer sits; its a COLD corner. I had one washer freeze and crack the water pump. It sits at the lowest level, think the tub water just gravity flows down into them when the solenoid opens 'empty the tub'. It pumps the water up that heavy dump hose but a lot of water still sits in that hose and thus the pump. If that dump hose just was laying on the floor and over to the floor drain it probably wouldnt even need a pump, the solenoid valve would open for the tub and the water would gravity drain out.

Daaaaaaaan
# Posted: 26 Feb 2023 00:11 - Edited by: Daaaaaaaan

Front-loading washing machines often have their drain pump jam at the bottom, so they have a cap that can be unscrewed when it inevitably sucks in a sock or something small, but will also drain any water from that lowest point. If you're ever a few cents short for something, you'll find some coins in there.

Good front-loading washing machines will have an access port to this cap, you can see that here:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-electronics-5-2-cu-ft-ultra-large-front-load-wash er-in-white/1001755487

But on lower-end/older models, it's usually 3 screws to remove the panel covering that cap. Those 3 screws can be hard to reach at floor level. I have to use door-entry bladder bags to lift my machine (and dryer stacked on top...) to access those.

Shouldn't be *too* hard to add a spigot and tube to that cap (or the section where the drain pump is) to make emptying it a bit easier and cleaner for winterizing.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.