Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Power Supply
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
# Posted: 23 Oct 2023 21:12

Quoting: Steve_S
I have 2x174AH, 1x105AH & now 4x280AH, all work happily & transparently with each other.

What voltage are you running. Are those individual cells or groups of batteries . I have 1 x 100 AH and 1 x 280 AH grouping in parallel to make 380AH but would like to move away from 12VDC eventually and build up to a 48V system.

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Oct 2023 08:25 - Edited by: Steve_S

I run a 24V System. I build my packs as simple 8S so 8 cells, 1 JKBMS per pack.

Here are a couple of my resources which may be helpful to you.
Battery Building basic guide.
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/luyuan-tech-basic-lifepo4-guide.151/

General LiFePO4 (LFP) Voltage to SOC charts/tables 12/24/48V
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/general-lifepo4-lfp-voltage-to-soc-charts-tables- 12-24-48v.109/

This is my General System Diagram (currently out of date as I will update it when call completed next spring)
System (Nov-2022

paulz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2023 08:52

Quoting: Steve_S
Paul, the 4 batteries are actually pretty darn good for being 12 years old. 99.2% SOC with cells at 3.30# is pretty close too, as 3.400 is 100% SOC. I do not see anything there that raises any flags at all.

Steve, thanks so much for reviewing my battery stats! those photos were taken after some charging yesterday. Here is first thing today, after all day and night running of fridge and modem, plus a couple hours of TV through the inverter last night, 13.0 has been the usual lately, will come back some after sun comes up. All batts will be about the same.
IMG_1636.jpeg
IMG_1636.jpeg

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Oct 2023 12:01

3.25#Vpc should be around 60% SOC.

Grab this quicky chart of mine, might help...
https://diysolarforum.com/resources/general-lifepo4-lfp-voltage-to-soc-charts-tables- 12-24-48v.109/updates

Have you changed or modified any of your stuff ? New TV or other ? Anything new that can have a parasitic load you were not expecting ? Even a new LED TV when off still uses some juice.

Again, to my eye, nothing in that image is unusual or out of place.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2023 20:15

Thanks again Steve, and for the chart, I’m still in the green!

No recent changes to my daily use stuff; fridge, modem, TV, lights, water pump.. I did add a washer/dryer recently but only use it maybe once a week, and usually run a generator same time.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Nov 2023 13:52

Hey, so I was checking out our TV, the only thing I use the inverter for usually. the cord has a power box that knocks it down to 19vdc. I tried 12vdc direct, no dice. Can I get a 12-19dc step up thing?

Would that save much juice over running it through the inverter?

ICC
# Posted: 7 Nov 2023 14:39

If the TV will operate on 19 VDC, you could use a DC-DC booster converter like this.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNDGFT6?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1. That takes a wide range of input to a wide range of output voltages. The output voltage is user selectable by a little rotary 'pot'. It would likely have less loss than the inverter, but is that so critical that you would introduce another piece of equipment?

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Nov 2023 16:18

How 'big' is your inverter.
Find the watts used by your biggest draw device; in this case the TV?, and upsize that by about 25%, that will be your inverter 'size'.
Example, for most stuff we are doing fine with a 300W psw inverter. If it fails I will probably up that to a 500W as the inv loss is similar between them. Far less than running a 1500W or more!

paulz
# Posted: 8 Nov 2023 08:35

Thanks guys. My inverter says 2500w, it draws about 25w plugged in. Turn on the TV, adds about 35w, total around 60w. Small potatoes, maybe not worth fussing over.

Neat booster ICC, will get one if helps. We usually have the TV on for 3-4 hours night.

# Posted: 8 Nov 2023 19:29 - Edited by: 909

I run a Bestek 500W pure sine wave inverter . It's just enough to run a small fridge / freezer combo , TV , all the lights ( 20 LED soffit lights ) , and charge laptops , power tool batteries, cell phones and tablets. It's small enough so it doesn't consume a lot of energy just being on. And since its indoors a smaller unit makes less noise. You can expect a 10% loss . 90% efficiency.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2023 12:07

I added 2-18650 batteries in series to a car battery, 20 volts, that runs the TV. Now if I could just figure out how to do that off my battery bank (4 12v in parallel) I’d have recharge..

It might run off 2 12v (24v) in series, haven’t had the guts to try.

# Posted: 9 Nov 2023 19:58

You can wire five 18650's in series for 18.5V nominal . Even fully charged you're only at 21V.

paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 10:57

Quoting: 909
You can wire five 18650's in series

Sounds good but keeping them charged could be an issue.

I understand no one will say it should run off two 12v bats in series (actually (26 Li volts). I may try it anyway, soon as I have a backup plan besides listening to my wife jabber all evening.

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 12:06

I think in the old days you would stack some resistance to the higher than desired voltage (2xs 12v at 26ish) to bring it down to within tolerance. Nowadays there must be some basic adjustable thingie; like a dc to dc step down?

paulz
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 12:54

Thought about that.. but I’ve ordered one of the buck converters ICC mentioned, see how that does.

ICC
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 14:46 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: paulz
buck converters ICC mentioned

The item I linked to is a "boost buck" converter. A combination unit. That is, it can raise voltage higher than input (boost) or lower voltage output (buck). There are probably more plain buck converters than boost or combination boost buck.

-izzy

ICC
# Posted: 10 Nov 2023 18:00 - Edited by: ICC

Oh. It does require some minor assembly. The upper and lower acrylic plates are not fitted when it arrives. Peel off the paper protection and then assemble with supplied spacers and screws. Top spacers are different length from the bottom ones.

-izzy

Provolone
# Posted: 20 Nov 2023 07:46

Sounds like you've got a hefty power supply with that Astron 50A. It should handle your needs well. As for using it with a MSW (Modified Sine Wave) generator, I've heard mixed opinions. Some folks say it's fine, but others recommend a pure sine wave inverter for sensitive electronics.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Nov 2023 11:19

Still waiting for that 12-19v converter, but not too hard.. what I did find was this smaller TV in my junk. Hung it closer to the bed, and surprise, the wife actually likes it better than the big wall mount. Best of all, it’s 12v, no inverter and less juice. Leaving the big one up for now..
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.