Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Ten plus years later off grid heating
groingo
# Posted: 10 Dec 2022 17:58

How off grid heating has changed just the past couple years.
For the past five years I have been heating and cooking with propane, prior to that with wood for over 40 years but got tired of the hassle, mess and bodily harm!
This season changed everything when I got my first Tent Woodstove, worked so well I invested in new cleaner wood cutting gathering tools but they had to all be electric, got tired of ICE engine hassle too, so got my 12 inch chainsaw for smaller stuff, 16 inch for large (almost never used) and my all time favorite 4 inch electric chainsaw, the saws are small because the stove is small and I simply don't go after trees but what everyone else leaves behind, the dead limbs and such, for a days wood all I need is my old plastic Walmart shopping basket, my 4 inch chainsaw and one battery, in 1/2 hour or less you have a days wood wet or dry!
Bring the wood into the cabin and if it needs splitting or trimming it can easily and mess free be done on my stump wedge with all trimmings used as fuel, being that the wood is rarely over 2 inches diameter plop under the stove and in a few hours burn ready!
If I decide to go after larger wood or just more of it I have the electric Power Wheelbarrow to do that, works great for steep inclines and has reverse, perfect for my 2.5 acres!
Splitting larger logs is easy now as well with the DR. electric 5 ton log splitter which some people are using inside their cabins, mines in the garage on a carpeted floor nice and dry!
Oh how things have changed, all because I make all my own power ( Lithium batteries changed everything) less the dam car (Leaf) which is tied to the grid for now and driven maybe 5000 miles a year thanks to Amazon!
Also, yes I have four woodstoves, they are so affordable and easy to setup (only 5 minutes), runs through my pre existing tripple lined chimney pipe, each has a very different personality but I definitely like High carbon steel over stainless.

There, I am all caught up and all electric with home grown power and much cleaner wood heat....yay!
Collage_20221210_1.jpg
Collage_20221210_1.jpg

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 10 Dec 2022 23:17

I agree electric tools are a game changer.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 09:54

Sounds real skookum. You got this figured out

snobdds
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 11:25

I'll stick with my gas powered stuff. I can get more stuff done quicker than it takes to recharge a battery.

That is a net benefit, especially at scale.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 11:50

Quoting: snobdds
I'll stick with my gas powered stuff. I can get more stuff done quicker than it takes to recharge a battery.

That is a net benefit, especially at scale.

With a stove as small as the OPs I wouldnt be useing much gas equipment. By the looks of it a wheel barrow load of wood would last a month.

snobdds
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 11:59

Quoting: Brettny
With a stove as small as the OPs I wouldnt be useing much gas equipment. By the looks of it a wheel barrow load of wood would last a month.

I don't see any efficiencies in that stove, or the process to use it with batteries.

curious
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 17:35

How big (or maybe small is the operative word) is the place that is being heated? Must be small if a very small stove can be used.

What about overnight temperatures?

I understand not liking small ICE engines and using battery-powered tools when they can do the job. Good ones work very well. I have one with a 16" bar. I do keep larger ICE powered one for when it is needed, which is not often since I am not having to clear or thin trees as much any more. Electric is nice especially when you are making your own solar or wind power.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.