Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Bye Bye Woodstove
groingo
# Posted: 20 Dec 2022 13:13

Living in a 195 square feet it looked like an ideal stove for the job would be a tent woodstove, unfortunately they are simply NOT made for long term use as I have both Stainless Steel and high Carbon Steel of which the Stainless works good but put out very little heat while the Hi Carbon Steel does much better but has problems with welds popping loose, all suffer from very poor quality control and I have 4!
Long story short I decided this fall to do wood heat using a whole new approach, All Electric tools, power wheelbarrow and electric log splitter, problem is in the end wood is just as dirty, sooty and messy as it ever was and these dam tent stoves all use tiny diameter pipe that makes a decent draft almost impossible thus you are getting smoked out at every turn, so, I tried and this morning the stove is out, propane is back and I have no regrets, I will be selling all of the equipment and stoves or I may just give it away and chock it up to a lesson learned!

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Dec 2022 14:33 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ive still got a 30ish yr old 'rendezvous' 2 Dog woodstove, really well built, that starts with about a 5" pipe that is telescoping to a 4" for packing/travel. We used to do 'historical encampments for about 20ys and those were the gold-std, never saw one burned/warped out. Iirc the biggest (just a longer firebox) was a 3 Dog.
From what Ive seen of those 'tent-stoves' you mention I agree, they dont look like they are meant for more than occasional light-duty use.
Ive never seen a small to mid sized wood stove that would burn all night, Im thinking its a 'volume thing' more than just an air control thing.
The footprint of a wood stove for fire safety in a small space just doesnt work for me, though sheepherders wagons have used them for hundreds of years.
Even in our current 16x24 the 30k btu LP wall furnace is sweet. Fire it up and pretty soon its 30k btu's pumping out. A gal of LP is about 92k so its mathematical, full on at 30k is 3hrs per gal, here that is under $4 when filling a cyl. We usually can set it lower after a couple hours once we get the core temp established so it isnt always running 30k btu's. At first I had hoped to use the LP to be warming the place while I got the wood stove kickin then only use the wood to maintain temp, but.....the 'air-tight' wood stove circa 1990 that came with the place was dismal, slow to warm if I could even keep it running and still didnt burn but about 1/2 a night at best. NO regrets going LP.
Most of your cordless tools have far more use than just feeding a wood stove, there is always cleaning up overgrowth, etc. around the place. I wouldnt be in a hurry to get rid of tools (but Im a tool junkie....) The splitter and big chain saw may be the exception? Fwiw, I have 2 corded elec chain saws, a 14" and 16" that I run off the little inv/gen. A cordless would be mighty nice sometimes but Ive only got $100 in both saws and have to have the gen anyway. If somebody have me a cordless Id use it but at the price Im not rushing out to buy one.

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 08:45

I have a 140sqft shabin with a wood stove and have none of the issues you state. I have an older cast iron wood stove that takes 12-14in logs and has a standard 6in pipe. The stove was bought for $140 at a local thrift store. The rest of the pipe was new. I have less than $300 into it and more than enough wood to burn. I have never used anything but a maul to split for that stove. I just dont see the need for a splitter when you can select straight grain logs.
20200927_185606.jpg
20200927_185606.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 20:56

I have a woodstove made from 1/4" plate steel, made by me, runs me out of my 238 sq feet. I have to open windows to cool it down. My welds dont break.

Its not air tight, its water tight. No one made the size I wanted. So I did.
woodstove10.jpg
woodstove10.jpg
my welds dont break
my welds dont break
Installed
Installed

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 08:56

Nice stove! I bet if you get that burning hot and shut it down you can nearly put the fire out.

Al Burton
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 19:13

I use the Cubic mini Grizzly in my 144 sqft cabin with loft. I use it in conjunction with a 12k propane wall heater for when the stove goes out at night. This has worked excellent for me. The Cubic is an exceptionally well made stove and is airtight with secondary air control as well. Not the cheapest but I found mine second hand but never used. I am thinking of replacing the propane wall heater with a diesel parking heater because diesel would be easier for me to deal with than propane in my location.
Grizzly stove
Grizzly stove

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 19:22

For a small cabin, propane is the way to go.

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 20:02

Quoting: NorthRick
For a small cabin, propane is the way to go.

Why not diesel? Hard to beat the efficiency of those parking heaters. Plus diesel is easier to get (at least here).

scott100
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 21:04 - Edited by: scott100

Nice toolbox toyota_mdt_tech. Your Snap-on dealer would be proud.

On the wood stove topic. Have a Jotul 602 cb in our cabin. Love it, but I've been using wood heat on and off for about 45 years.

jsahara24
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:28

I have to say I love my woodstove, this is my second winter with one my house has never been warmer. Granted its a bit of work, but I have the woods and need a reason to get some exercise anyway.

I have an older catalytic stove, forget the name brand right now but it works great. I'm getting 10 hour burn times with coals left over. Don't plan to stop burning wood until my body doesn't allow me too, especially with heating oil prices.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.