Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Internet options (other than Starlink)?
<< . 1 . 2 .
zorro
# Posted: 20 Jan 2023 10:21

rpe

from everything i have read, you are correct - the antennas should point in opposite directions

The modem/router linked above has 4 antennas on the rear (to pick up the external signal and 2 antennas on the sides - to send wifi around the cabin

So the side antennas on the router will point INTO the cabin

The rear antennas can also be replaced with 4 external antennas to try to boost the signal

Router;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NDDH6S8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A28ACUCUGPG KAB&psc=1

External antenna;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VVWMS2F/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=AEP2WY1PO6E Q1&psc=1

My plan is to try this and if it doesnt work, return everything - i have 30 days to do so

I can also mount the external antennas and have the modem/routed no more than 6 feet from the antenna, to minimize signal loss per the info from travellerw

Will it work................I honestly dont know, but I will give it a try as there is nothing to lose with the 30 day return policy

Fanman
# Posted: 20 Jan 2023 17:19 - Edited by: Fanman

If your buddies' Verizon phones work well at your place you don't need such expensive equipment, you probably won't even need an external antenna.

MiFi 8800 - $199

Unlimited data SIM card - $79 1st month, $55/mo after

No connection with the company, just a satisfied user.

zorro
# Posted: 24 Jan 2023 14:12

Thanks Guys

I think i am going to try the MIFI option first, via Verizon

Looks like the simplest and cheapest option

My buddy gets fairly good service, with Verizon, so hopefully i should as well

Thanks

redwolfguild
# Posted: 24 Jan 2023 18:18

I played this game a few years back. I tried every booster, cell plan, and nothing. Probably spent $2k on testing and buying equipment. Starlink was the answer for my situation, but you are all right, it hates trees. I have a clear view about 100 ft from the house, so I out it there.

For those of you surrounded, I saw a guy install one of those really tall radio towers and he climbed up there and mounted the StarLink Reciever on the top which was above the tree, he got really good service. Looks like shit, but he wanted Internet worse.

Fanman
# Posted: 24 Jan 2023 20:45

It all depends on where you are. Cell wasn't an option for us until a couple of years ago, when Verizon installed a new tower on a mountain top about 5 miles away from our cabin. Before that we suffered with a Hughes satellite system that worked OK but had too many people sharing the data allowance.

groingo
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 21:18

Two things, could you clear some trees for better view, (everyone needs fire wood) or could you mount the antenna atop a tree?

zorro
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 22:46

Where the cabin is situated, I would need to take out a massive amount of trees to give a clear sky view for Starlink - I would not do that as it would look horrendous

I don’t think top of a tree would work either - they are tall, but fairly skinny at the top - in storms, I think it would sway too much for the signal - I would also need someone to get up there to instal and then for adjustments afterwards if required

So don’t think those options will work unfortunately

mj1angier
# Posted: 8 Feb 2023 09:25

The Starlink dish is very light weight so it does not require much to support it. And it self adjust, so you don't have anything to do once it's up. Harbor Freight makes a collapsible flag pole that a lot of us use to mount the dish, There are adapters for sale that make installing to the top easy.

I have seen a few installs that they used ladder to get as high up a straight tree as possible, cut the top out of tree and use ring clamps to hold flag pole to trunk

Here is one using climbing spikes, lol
tree.jpg
tree.jpg

Fanman
# Posted: 8 Feb 2023 10:24

Before Verizon put up the new cell tower, I used a Wilson cell booster with mediocre results. I put the antenna up in a tree by shooting an arrow with a string up over a branch, then used the string to pull up a a heavier cord tied to the antenna.

zorro
# Posted: 27 Apr 2023 13:18

Ok - just wanted to give an update on this and what I eventually did

So I purchased this for around $130 and honestly, it works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7VZS3HQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I use my cell phone (AT&T) and hotspot from that to easily connect to wifi on my ipad or laptop

Prior to this, I was getting 1 bar and struggling to connect to anything and could not view youtube or any videos etc

Now I consistently get 3 bars and sometimes 4 bars

Everything connects and runs smoothly with no stuttering or pausing with DL speeds around 45mbps

Youtube videos work perfectly

So for around $130, it was a great success

Ptomaine
# Posted: 28 Apr 2023 15:05

After experimenting with different boosters with poor results, I got lucky. Thanks to rural broadband programs, I had fiber run right past my cabin. I don't have electricity, but I get 300 Mbps internet! It has been great because I am just at the edge of cellphone range. Now I can use wi-fi calling and have access to current weather. That can be quite important during snowstorms or tornado conditions.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.