Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / outdoor wood boiler
Gregoire guy
# Posted: 12 Feb 2023 22:30

Hello from Northern Ontario.
i'm wondering if anyone has ever had any success with installing a wood boiler, that will operate without a low pressure/high flow pump? i have a setup where i can install the heater below the floor grade of the cabin. small hill, which would allow a rise of pipe run approx 2-3' from the floor of the cabin. \thanks for any reply, Greg

DaveBell
# Posted: 12 Feb 2023 23:31 - Edited by: DaveBell

Greg, Outdoor wood boilers are in use in West Virginia. So many people have access to free firewood. The one I saw in person was a good 4' offset from a house basement floor, and about 20+ feet downhill. I am not sure about pump/no pump operation. You should contact a dealer or manufacturer.

Gregoire guy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 09:21

Thank you, appreciate the quick reply.
Great site !!
Greg

travellerw
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 11:31

I'm not sure about the pump thing..

However, make sure your planned location is downwind. Many people underestimate the smell. They damper WAY down when heat is not needed to save wood, but it really creates an acrid nasty smoke that is quite unpleasant to be around. I know one person that installed one about 40 yards away from the house because of this.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 13:01

I suppose we are talking about a hot water (hydronic) boiler, not a steam boiler. For a pumpless hydronic system to work there needs to be a sufficient height difference between the boiler and the heating radiators. This makes the system a thermosiphon.

I am not sure of the minimum differential. However, the only pumpless systems I recall seeing are in old houses with two or more levels and with basements. Boiler in the basement and cast iron radiators upstairs. Warm water rises. No pump is needed. Thermosiphon systems take longer to distribute heat though.

In the 1800's someone devised a clockwork timer and crude thermostat that controlled the air intake damper on the boiler. The furnace air damper could be opened mechanically at a preset time to increase the temperature before one got out of bed. My great-grandparents had a 3 story Victorian home that was heated like that. No electricity at all way back when.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.