Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Retractable Solar Panel Frame
frankpaige
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 17:21

I am thinking of increasing my solar panels from 1-100 watt panel to 4-100 watt panels. The conundrum is the solar panel frame and location.
My thought is to arrange the panel so it lays flat on the south side of the cabin while I am gone. When I come out, move it the where it can more fully capture the sun’s rays.
The photo I am enclosing is from Sept 20th 2019 @ 4:30pm.
It was just before I mounted my 1 panel on the pole.
My thought is that even when I am not there it will keep the batteries topped off. During the winter, the panels will be out of the way of snow that slides off the roof.
My first thought was to build a frame where they are mounted vertically instead of horizontal.
Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, pros/cons.
94A5D588F2A14DDEA.jpeg
94A5D588F2A14DDEA.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Feb 2023 17:56

I would be tempted to mount a frame on the wall, hinged at the top, that would maximize the sun hours 9 to 4pm with No shading, and have a bottom adjustable brace to hold it out at the best seasonal angle. When not there it could just be flat down on the wall idling along.

Peewee86
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 00:17

Solar panels do not like any shading. Even a partial shading can create a significant reduction in output. That photo was taken late in the afternoon and in the fall when the sun is lower in the sky. Do you have larger shadows on the cabin siding at other times of the year? Midday in June? I like gcrank’s idea as long as shade is not an issue.

Would your existing pole be able to handle the wind load of multiple solar panels if you modified or replaced the existing panel mounting setup?

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 06:14

I have a 230w pannel on a hinge with a kick stand just like your wanting to do. My only regret is not doing this sooner. Adds capacity and always works in the winter.

You can kind of see my tree cover, I'm highly shaded and out of the 3 pannels I only get about 3hrs of sun on them.
1677064220414.jpg
1677064220414.jpg
1677064240915.jpg
1677064240915.jpg

frankpaige
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 11:11

Peewee86
I have contemplated hanging the solar rack under the eaves just back from the fascia. So that is still in the “maybe can do that” thoughts.
With the winds that South Park in Colorado are known for. I really do not think multiple panels would survive up there. Maybe if there was an additional pole?
Brettny
Glad to see what you have done. Glad to hear I am not the only one who says. I should have done this sooner.
February is a tough month for any cabin time. While it might be close to 40 degrees. The wind is the killer. I need to get there to actually see what the inverter is, and capable of this plan.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 12:57

I'll chime in with a thought for ponderance.
4X 12V/100W Panels cost around 120-150 ea
1X QCell 395W (45V) Split Cell panel is < $300 *
* Split Cell MONO panels are far more shade tolerant, they are "almost" equivalent to Shingled Cell panels for shade handling. Shingled Cell Panels are Very hard to get in North America at this time.

Panel Prices are cheaper in US and you also have a lot of access to used panels as well as NOS products which are readily available. $ Figures I used are Canadian.

frankpaige
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 13:46

Steve_S,
Backstory to the multiple panels. In reading, I was told not to mix panel wattages.
I used some AmericanExpress points for Home Depot gift cards. Was going to them toward a Jackery 1000. Then realized that HD sold the 800.
Thought I would use them toward solar panels instead.
Now I am sitting with $600 in gift cards for HD.
Certainly would be easier to work with one panel for sure.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 14:56

ok, bit by bit... I'm in the midst of some tasks here. Currently under Extreme Weather State so hunker down prep.

Correct, Mixing panels is not good and it's not only the wattages it is the voltages as well.
Panels in Series increase string Voltage.
Panels in Parallel increase string Amperage.
Voltage & Amperage must be within the specs for the Solar Charge Controller for it to be able to deliver its charging capacity.

I'm uncertain about the various Jackery / Bluetti type devices, these products are finally "maturing" and as such, they have been more debugged & reliable than when they first started appearing. Like all things, always wait for at least Version 2.0 unless you feel like handling the challenge of being a Beta Tester.

HomeDepot in Canada does not sell much related to solar gear, there is some but really not a lot. I do know that in the States they have a lot more on offer "in-store" and a heap load more in their "online store".

NOW I am gonna really toss a Rock in the Pond !
I dunno if you've ever seen any "Greenworks" products, likely have I'd imagine... They make a crap load of tools & equipment, all Battery Powered and pretty darn good to boot (I rarely say that). Well they are Really Stepping up to the plate and a lot of their new goodies are coming within the next couple of months.

I URGE you to read this bit of a write up and do ponder it... We all have battery powered tools etc these days and it's only going to increase right...
https://electrek.co/2023/01/04/greenworks-unveils-electric-bikes-home-batteries-vacuu ms/

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 19:37

I would suggest you look in your area for full sized used pannels. Solar pannels are fairly easy to check on the used market with a semi sunny day and a volt meter. I bought my 230w pannel, NOS for $75 each. My hinge is attached directly to the pannel frame. Idk if I would do that with a high wind area.

Since your only useing 100w now and looking to buy more. Why not mount one pannel vertically on the wall and use the ground mount for the other 3? Just having them in a place you can clean the snow off is a benefit.

Nobadays
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 09:54

Frank.... our cabin is down outside of Monte Vista, CO. I see on the SLV, FB marketplace pages quite frequently someone posting used solar panels, most often 250w @$60 each. I can't remember where they are located but want to say Walsenburge? I think they are coming down here to AZ and buying pallets of panels from SanTan solar then reselling them.

I'll look around marketplace and see if I can point you to the sellers if you'd like.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 12:32 - Edited by: gcrank1

My 'legacy' system is 12v; knowing what I think I know now Id have made it 24v. I had considered that as time went on and I needed to replace/upgrade stuff Id move toward 24. Well, that didnt happen....
My 12v matched LFP's are limited by their internal BMS to be able to parallel but not series.
Then a 'deal' came along for a nice 1kw 12/120vac inverter with multi inputs and auto pass-through when Id run the gen.
12v doesnt much matter to my situation but surely could when someone is making an initial plan (like, oh, gee, my elec needs arent much so I'll just go 12v) and not considering future growth. Imo, IF the array, bats, inv. and cabin are relatively close together 12v works pretty good for modest demands, but if the distance get more than about 30' the ga. of copper (only) wire goes past my line-loss limits.
And this technology is changing so fast, especially with panels and batteries. If we have a 10year old system it is probably outdated. My 'still good/putting out to spec' 100W panels would be better to replace with those mentioned 250W panels. My 50A mppt scc is nice and can take 12/24v input but wont output more than the 50A even if the array can supply more.
All to say that buying big output panels and a scc that can handle them makes sense, then feed a bat-bank that you can grow to meet increasing demands. Trying to charge an oversized bat-bank is coming at it backwards (btw, Im not pointing fingers, just rambling thoughts). I think many call it 'over-paneling' is generally good unless in an ideal solar situation.
Im thinking of trying to sell my 6x100W array, scc, old LA bats and small msw inverter as a 'starter kit' locally. It is still a viable small system and has served well for 10-12? years but it my be time to really build a system for the next 10 or more instead of just inching along?

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 15:27

Did you get 10yrs out of LA batteries?

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 16:43

Prev owner/builder died without documentation
From everything Ive been able to check out the components seem to date to about 10 years before us. With a dying/neglected 4x 125ish ah bat-bank (ups agm) I babied quickly from the 4, to 3, to 2, to 1 and made em 'last' for another 1.5yrs.
Not too shabby for a fairly hacked together system?
I rewired/reconfigured the stuff 3 times for my education, lol.
I finished off that last LA year with an old 'marine type' 100ah paralleled with a 100ish ah 'marine starting battery', which gave me some 'boost' for sudden higher amps draw.
At that point it was buy new LA (figured to go GC 6v LA series/parallel) or through that amount of money (and more) at LFP. Well, LFP it was and I got 3x the usable amp hours so 2x 100ah LFP gives me as much energy as 6x 100ah LA would. That would have been 12x 6v GC bats!
Which brings up the point that if you want to wire LFP in series Make Sure the batteries chosen can be configured that way! It is probably better to just get 24v LFP right off if that is the voltage you want.

frankpaige
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 18:02

Gcrank1,
The more I read through what you said about “over-paneling” and read on what others say about that. I am stepping back a bit from the OP that I wrote.
I still think that the better place for whatever panels (it’s going to be more than one) I use is on the cabin wall. The size of larger panels and the winds I get there just would worry me to no end to try a pole mount.
HD does sell a Lithium Battery for $500ish.
There are some new 310 watt panels west of Walsenberg for $170. I can still look for the used ones that Nobadays spoke of also. It’s not summer yet. Maybe it’s time to pucker up and go lithium?
I do appreciate everyone’s post and input.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 18:50

If it is just a weekend cabin and your going with a "solar generator" you could just bring it home to charge it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Feb 2023 23:29

That is why I 1st responded to mount on the wall, hinged so they hang below the roof shadow before, say 4pm and a way to prop the angle for the season.
On my toolshed Ive considered hanging panels either side of my centered window to be kind of a 'shutter effect' visually.
My old LA set up really needed 2 100W panels for each 100ah battery. What do you have, or want to have as a battery bank ah size?
That would let me recharge my bats usually by noon IF a good solar day; ie, replenish my prev nights use. If not a good solar day more panels is better.
LFP is the same, what you use you have to put back in, and a bit more. If your current bat is keeping up with your usage and Not drawing the bat below 70% state of charge (ie, using to top 30%) LA can live about as long as possible. Go to 50% regularly you are slowly killing them, go often below that you are murdering them.
If the temps fall below freezing LA is still likely viable for you since LFP cant be charged below freezing; though it can sit idle in below freezing.
And LFP doesnt care if it sits for a good bit of time without being recharged asap.
LA wants to be kept fully charged, not discharge too deeply and recharged asap. (I do Not miss my LA!)
Panels are relatively cheap. Good Solar Charge Controls not bad at less than top $/tier 1; Storage (bats) are the pricey end of this off-grid solar thing.
Most suggest doing an 'energy audit' to determine your bat bank size then choosing the bat chemistry for your conditions. After that you size the array + scc for keep it fed.
In my world determining how much array I have room and money for dictates the bat bank it can feed. That determines my inverter and ultimately how much amp or watt hours I have to utilize.
After all that Brettny has a very good point. I essentially did just that after getting my LFP because I had sooo much more usable capacity. Id take a charged bat, hook it up and we would use it for days until it finally dropped low. Swap in the other and bring the 1st home to recharge at my leisure. That takes a whole 2-2.5hrs, big deal. This worked so well that I never even hooked up the solar system (I had torn it apart to re-do in a more 'perm' location). I could run my gen at the cabin to power my 40a charger and do the same on site, or maybe run it 1/2hr per day to keep the bat topped up. Cant do that with LA!
With your current array/system idling along as your base-line power maybe having an LFP to hook in when there would be a simple upgrade?

frankpaige
# Posted: 24 Feb 2023 16:38

Gcrank1,
When this first started my intention was to. Purchase 3-100 watt panels, add those to my present 100 watt panel, add 1 100ah Marine deep cycle to my present marine deep cycle 1-100ah lead acid.
Then! The information and suggestions made me take a step back and rethink that original plan.
You and others were correct about my 1 panel was just not recharging that battery quickly.
I do not plan to power any fridge/microwave with whatever I end up with. I have a Jenny for the microwave and coffeemaker. Jackery is for the wife’s CPAP machine when she comes. Quite happy with the Yeti knockoff for perishables, ice usually lasts 4-5 days.
It’s more than a weekend cabin one the day temps hit 40 degrees. Usually 4-5 days. Home for chores, then headed back up.
3 led lights, ipad, hearing aid charger, phone is off while I am there. I use the IPad quite a lot while there. Mostly reading.
Brettny , I usually visit once a month in the winter and just would hate to sled that battery in/out each trip. Ole man here.
“If” I were to pull the pin right now. It would be at least 1-310 watt panel and a lithium battery.
I am headed there tomorrow to picture where the shade is on the cabin wall. Smoke a cigar, sit and spit some.

Steve_S
# Posted: 24 Feb 2023 16:46

Quoting: frankpaige
Smoke a cigar, sit and spit some.

A good pondering then.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Feb 2023 20:03

What's your heating source? Frank it almost sounds like you need another jackery that powers your wife's CPAP. One to leave all winter and charge via gen/solar while your there and its warm and one to bring back and forth when your wife comes.

You really dont have alot of loads with what you described. The only real issue would be charging in the cold. I would almost think a 100W pannel and beating the snot out of a cheap marine battery would serve you fine for lights for a few years.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Feb 2023 20:19

Your usage is light to moderate, imo, not dis-similar to us. Im guessing you would rather not throw thousands of dollars at solar electric, hundreds maybe Ok?
The LFP bats are not to be charged below freezing so you would need to discon the solar from one, maybe have a beater LA to leave the whole system idling thru the winter?
My 100ah LFP's are about the size of a typical grp27 LA but only weight about 25#? vs LA 60#, and they have a carry strap, No problem moving!
That's why I think having the LA always there 'on system' would work and you bring an LFP to parallel in (I have Anderson connectors, snap on, snap off).
If you add another of the same panels (will your current scc handle 2?) you would double your input to the bat(s).
Even if you didnt get an LFP you would help keep your LA healthy.
Btw, those last 2 years before LFP I was hitting up my fishing friends with trolling motors to bring me their TM bats rather than using them for core exchange for a new bat (some buy a new one every year and abuse them by constantly drawing well past 50%). I recharge/reconditioned a couple that way and they still worked for solar at the cabin.

frankpaige
# Posted: 12 Apr 2023 10:36

Update. I constructed a frame. Hung it just back from the eave. Hung the panels on it. In the coming summer months, I can swing the bottom out the catch sun with a better angle. Tye it off while I am not there.
And yes! I plane on cutting the Aspen down.
216AAACAE8D7454F9.jpeg
216AAACAE8D7454F9.jpeg
58709D31E5AC429C8.jpeg
58709D31E5AC429C8.jpeg
7E8563F9F3C94C759.jpeg
7E8563F9F3C94C759.jpeg
19B0CBB485274370B.jpeg
19B0CBB485274370B.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Apr 2023 20:49

Looks like a workable plan

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.