Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water Filtration System
turbozee
# Posted: 28 Mar 2023 13:49

Hi. First post on this forum, so take it easy on me!

I am trying to build a potable water system using components I already have. The plan is to have 2 holding tanks that collect the rain water from a metal roof.

To use the full capacity of the holding tanks, I was thinking the filtration tank with the gravel and sand in it would need the rain water entering from the bottom of it. The rain water would seep up the gravel and sand and filter and then overflow into the tank with the charcoal. The water would then get filtered by the charcoal by seeping up through it and then overflow into the potable water holding tanks.

I like the idea of overflowing between the filtration tanks to prevent cross-contamination.

I have attached a diagram which is a bit easier to follow than words. Does anyone see any issues?
water_filter_system..png
water_filter_system..png

txDave
# Posted: 29 Mar 2023 14:03

I think you are going to need a sanitizer in there, the gravel bed and settling tank may get you a well filtered clear water, but won’t be biologically safe. UV sanitation is pretty easy and effective.(viqua is the brand I used) The mfg. normally recommend 5 micron filtration upstream of the UV sanitizer, your system might filter enough with out it, but the big blue filter is cheap insurance. There’s other methods out there, (chemical, or ozone), but you need something there

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Mar 2023 20:13

Very ambitious project. Is this for a full time place?

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Mar 2023 10:15

A dulton under counter filter and a 12v pump will do the same in the size of about a 5gal bucket.

Are you filtering every bit of water you use as if your drinking it?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.