Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What size sink is best
jjmay77
# Posted: 15 May 2023 21:16

I am choosing a sink for my small cabin. I do minimal dishes and have about a 7ft counter. I dont want to take up too much space but also am worried about a tiny bar sink being too small for dishes etc. Wondering what others have done and what works.

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 May 2023 21:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

We use a good sized rectangular hd black plastic container (think it was a farm equipment 'oil drain pan' on sale back in the mid-1980s). Yes, we have been using it since then
In it is a 'dishes drain rack'. A pair of ' nesting regular home kitchen sink rec. plastic wash tubs flipped over sits on top when this is slipped onto a shelf under the countertop.
In use it is set on counter.
One smaller tub has hot, soapy wash water, the other rinse water. Wash, dip rinse, set in rack to dry.
The rinse water becomes the next batch of hot soapy water, the used wash water gets poured down the grey water French Drain.
Put dishes away, stow the rig under the counter. Done.
You could do similar with a sink the size of the drain rack. Wash in a tub, set dishes in rack and pour or spritz spray rinse water over to let run out the drain.

ICC
# Posted: 15 May 2023 21:37

8 ft counter. Bar sink. It works for us in a 16x30 cabin

travellerw
# Posted: 15 May 2023 22:42

We did a sink with a smaller size on the right and regular size on the left. Wife likes it. She uses the small size for washing, then piles in the big side and uses the sprayer for rinsing. Works well, uses minimal water.

razmichael
# Posted: 16 May 2023 07:26 - Edited by: razmichael

Although I have a larger sink inside (not plumbed yet) we use out outside kitchen (under the covered porch) for all cooking and dishes. Very small space so went with an ikea sink that has a side extension for placing a dish rack etc. Not expensive and is large enough for lots of dishes.
Ikea Sink

Ikea sink
Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor Kitchen

jhp
# Posted: 16 May 2023 11:25

Quoting: gcrank1
In it is a 'dishes drain rack'

I did the same thing until I decided what to do permanently. Two tubs plus a drying rack was like maybe $10?

Its been "temporary" for the past several years LOL.

I too can't decide on the size of the sink and don't want to lose counter space or the cabinet space for drainage to a bucket. I'm not sure I'll ever decide though, this system works just fine.

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 May 2023 13:03

40yrs on for us, works just fine
Periodically we move things around inside, not being tethered to wiring and plumbing has been great.
Maybe someday we will settle on floorplan, lol.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 May 2023 13:41

I use the same sink that Razmichael shows. I also got the cutting-board / cover for it that fits on it... I believe they still have 3 models of this @ Ikea (they did) with a shallow one, a deeper one and a larger one (width) but I don't know if they still do.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.