Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Bypass/deactivate CO monitor on Unique fridge?
Fenny
# Posted: 26 May 2023 13:51

We picked up a used Unique propane fridge model: UGP-6C at the end of last year and just boated it up to our island cottage this past weekend. When we went to start it up the pilot light would not stay lit. After troubleshooting with Unique they told us it's because there is a mandatory CO monitor that is supposed to be connected that is missing. The catch is that this monitor costs $300CAN! Now I don't need convincing that a good CO monitor is a must, we have multiple others throughout the cottage. The cottage is also a 75 year old huntish shack and basically looks like it was built out of whatever floated up on shore. It's drafty and has more air passage through it than our current PM has between his ears.

My question is has anyone bypassed or deactivated this system in the past? It just hurts to spend another $300 on top of what we already spent for it.

Please no "buyer beware" replies, I looked around but didn't catch this issue anywhere when I was researching the fridge. It is listed as coming with the fridge new but nowhere did I see it being a mandatory component that would inhibit regular function if missing.

Thanks!

Steve_S
# Posted: 26 May 2023 14:38

Is that one of the fridges that requires a D-Cell Battery ? I believe the newer ones use a D-Cell to power the ignitor just like on the stoves.

Nate R
# Posted: 26 May 2023 15:08

Do you have any of the components for that? Is M1 the only part missing, or M2 and M3 as well? (From their parts list in the manual)

Fenny
# Posted: 26 May 2023 15:42

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I believe that the M2 and M3 pieces are already connected at the back of the fridge and only the M1 is missing. I suspect when the fridge was removed by the previous owner they forgot to give us the CO monitor.

I think it takes AA batteries, 3 or 4 for the light and one for the igniter.

Nate R
# Posted: 26 May 2023 16:25

How old is this one? The M1 looks liek it has a lithium non-replaceable battery that will force replacement anyway around 7 years. This is to protect you, as the CO sensors actually wear out over time, too....

So, point being, maybe you'd have to buy a new M1 anyway....

I'm wondering if you can just jumper the 2 wires and see if that is it? I've used some CO shutdown devices before for other applications, and they're typically very simple circuitry for the output/switch/defeat.

FishHog
# Posted: 26 May 2023 16:31

should be a simple "normally open or normally closed circuit". If its not working now, I assume its sensing nothing or normally open, so jumper the two wires and it should sense its closed and work.

At least that is what I'd try first.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 May 2023 20:11

Quoting: Nate R
I'm wondering if you can just jumper the 2 wires and see if that is it

This is exactly what I would suggest you try before spending any money. At this point you dont even know if the thing works.

Does it also use a thermocouple? How long and big is your propane line? Fridges use so little propane that it may take many minutes to keep the system running by its self. It has to bleed out all the air in the propane line.

browncoatgirl
# Posted: 28 May 2023 20:18

I have the exact same issue right now. I was gifted that fridge but the CO detector is dead and now the Unique one is just too expensive. If you do try to simply put a jumper and it works, could you post about it hahaha? Next weekend i was planning on getting on my hands and knees to figure out how to bypass it but if I just need a jumper, i'll save myself the trouble!
Thanks a lot!

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 May 2023 22:26

Im with FishHog, 'safety switches' often are easily bypassed for a service tech on site to troubleshot a faulty unit. You are basically fooling it into working by telling it there isnt a CO problem (which there isnt).
Also, as Brett mentions, if plumbed in LP to close to the unit c/w a shutoff you could hook up a small LP heater with a short connector hose to get gas flowing and the heater working, then shut off the valve. This minimizes the gas flow distance issue to the fridge. Hook the fridge line up and turn on the valve.

Fenny
# Posted: 12 Jun 2023 11:31

Thanks guys, tried the jumper this past weekend and it didn't work. I had to leave but will be going back up next weekend. Going to have to try the manufacturer one that must be made of gold...

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Jun 2023 13:26

You cant be the only one that has had to mess about with that. Keep searching for info on the 'net, its gotta be out there.

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Jun 2023 13:42

If the jumper didn’t work did you try just unhooked. Maybe it’s a smarter sensor but I don’t think so. It’s most likely just an normally open or normally closed switch. The jumper would be closed. If that didn’t work try open if you haven’t already

ICC
# Posted: 12 Jun 2023 17:08 - Edited by: ICC

Replacement option?
https://www.thecabindepot.com/products/unique-carbon-monoxide-alarm-system-with-safet y-shut-off

Nate R
# Posted: 13 Jun 2023 08:30 - Edited by: Nate R

That was mentioned initially by OP, but they couldn't/didn't want to spend the $.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Jun 2023 08:54

Ooops. I never noticed or forgot. 50/50 chance on either these days.

Clipper
# Posted: 14 Jun 2023 13:11

It is a very simple fix. Just unscrew the small part at the regulator that the wires from the detector go into (mosfet). And then reattach without it. Should take 2 minutes. I have done this to my Unique works perfect. The only thing you will lose is the indicator needle will no longer work. If you desire it to work you can order the part from unique and reinstall it in place of the MOSFET.

Clipper
# Posted: 14 Jun 2023 17:17

This is the piece that should be removed and then just reattach the inlet to the main.
IMG_3608.jpeg
IMG_3608.jpeg

Clipper
# Posted: 14 Jun 2023 17:21

The offending part.
IMG_3611.jpeg
IMG_3611.jpeg

browncoatgirl
# Posted: 16 Jun 2023 15:12

Omg @clipper, you just saved me so much trouble! I thought that the thermocouple and the co2 detector were connected together on the valve ( as in could not be connected separatly). I just took off that piece and i now have a working refrigerator with a big freezer and i will be eating ice cream this summer 😍😍😍

beantbay
# Posted: 17 Jun 2023 20:48

So what piece is this exactly. I don't appear to have a CO alarm but I recognize this piece and cannot get it to stay lit. Pilot works while depressing the gas button to start...

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Jun 2023 23:27

Im No Service Tech for this stuff, but.....
It is my understanding that the gas button held down bypasses the gas valve internal safety switch to make the pilot light run.
It heats the thermocouple which is supposed to open the gas valve safety.
Since it doesnt keep running after some 'heat time' you may have weak gas flow; ie, only enough to keep the pilot going during the by-pass. If the gas line leaked down from non-use it can take a while to get a full line again.
Note that the safety in the gas valve is supposed to close off the gas flow if the pilot flame goes out.
The pilot must be in the right position to heat the thermocouple; if it has been inadvertently tweaked away/out of position it wont function as intended.
They may also not work well if sooted up.
So, ensure you have gas in the tank and that it is getting to the appliance. Ive heard LP guys joke about how many times they find the tank valve shut off on a service call.

CheekieBandito
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 13:29

I can confirm removing this part will allow the fridge to operate.
Got to my place on the weekend to hear the CO detector beeping. First thought it was just the battery as I had it die on me last year. Replaced it but it was still beeping. After reading the back of the unit I realized the detector was at end of life. Wonderful…. My place is water access and in the middle of a 25 km long lake. Next day I head into town only to find out that the CoStar detector isn’t made anymore and no one seems to make them with a shut off except that RIDICULOUSLY priced unit from Unique! Ughh… luckily with some googling I found this site and thread regarding the issue. Removed the part this morning and the fridge is running again! So I’ll just add a battery operated CO detector were the old unit was… no more worrying about the fridge not working.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 19:09

What Hoo! The S.C. Forum Team wins again

Fenny
# Posted: 29 Oct 2023 20:39

I'll confirm, removing this piece does the trick!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.