Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / UPS Recommendations
beantbay
# Posted: 19 Jun 2023 23:59

Hello

Currently running a battery system that gets it charge mainly from solar panels and a generator at times.

Usually have generator running in the morning when some big draw devices are operational - and when we shut the generator down, depending on the draw at the time, sometimes this causes a quick hiccup in the power - causing the TV/Starlink/etc to go out (and takes a few minutes for all that stuff to reconnect). It also does this just with our stereo system at times.

I'm thinking of adding an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and having these main devices plugged into it.

Does anyone have any experience with UPS that can recommend something that has a low standby draw? I read some of them can take up a bit of draw when in standby (Charged and waiting to assume to power), and want to save as much power as I can.

Literally the UPS will power things for a matter of a second or two, so it should rarely be in a charging state too.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 Jun 2023 05:18

These days, you are far better off getting a Bluetti Type battery system. They can run your cabin (within reason of course) and can do the job. If it get's low, you can top it off with your generator pretty quickly or even connect it to a small solar array.

TIPS:
- Look at Established products that are in the market.
- AVOID Kickstarter projects unless you want to be an Alpha / Beta Tester and suffer issues.

Have a gander here for more info:
https://www.techradar.com/best/portable-power-stations

travellerw
# Posted: 20 Jun 2023 10:46

What are you using for a switching device. Some of the devices are too slow and you will get a bump like that. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to change to a quicker device, or a UPS/battery backup.

A portable battery solution could work, but I don't think its ideal for your setup since you already have solar and batteries. Those power packs aren't designed to be UPS devices and usually don't fair well if kept at %100 charge.

redwolfguild
# Posted: 20 Jun 2023 16:56 - Edited by: redwolfguild

Quoting: beantbay
and when we shut the generator down, depending on the draw at the time, sometimes this causes a quick hiccup in the power - causing the TV/Starlink/etc to go out

How are you running power to your plugs? If you are running an inverter off your battery, you should have no interruption when you turn off your generator.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 21 Jun 2023 09:32

I have the same problem. My ATS is not fast enough and the TV/DVD Player shuts down when switching. I now use a Bluetti EB3A as a UPS for those devices. However, my place is only a recreational use cabin and I take the Bluetti home with me for other uses.

You could probably get by with a sub $150 APC UPS that would be more appropriate. Just make sure what you get can handle the wattage of your devices and that it stays charged all the time. (If you are there full time, that should not be a problem)

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 26 Jun 2023 21:36

I have used a couple of UPS's at home, for PCs and stuff.
Found the battery in them quickly (in a couple of years) becomes useless, and then even if a minor surge happens, it shuts off and needs to be manually reset. Useless.
To be useful, it needs to be sufficiently sized for your load and the battery to be replaced periodically.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 27 Jun 2023 13:49

Quoting: CabinBuilder
Found the battery in them quickly (in a couple of years) becomes useless, and then even if a minor surge happens, it shuts off and needs to be manually reset. Useless.

True:

The better ones we use at work start around the $500 range and up.

So maybe going a Bluetti route isn't such a bad idea???

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Jun 2023 15:02

Quoting: CabinBuilder

Make sure you are buying one with user serviceable batteries. Of course you need to spend more than $100 for that. With those ones, its trivial to swap the batteries. We use a local battery wholesaler (Battery World). Takes me about 20 min to do a swap and the unit is back like brand new.

Its also possible on the cheaper little ones... but much harder and not supported. Usually the batteries are soldered so you need the ability to de-solder and re-solder.

beantbay
# Posted: 1 Jul 2023 08:37 - Edited by: beantbay

I'm guessing that the ATS built into the inverter isn't quick enough like another user mentioned as well. It doesn't always drop out, just when usage is a bit higher (e.g. fridge or freezer is running) or when bulk charging is occurring.

I can always get a UPS that has replaceable batteries, but my biggest concern is the standby/idle draw of the UPS. If its constantly pulling 20W like some do, its not worth it in my opinion. I want something that pulls much less!

For the record, the inverter is a Magnum MMS1012. I've been reading this morning about the VAC Dropout which was set to 90. I changed it to 100 and going to test it again. It also has UPS mode but not sure I want to try that?

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Jul 2023 12:04

Just in case anyone is interested, I just came across this from ECOFLOW (similar to Bluetti but more)

Prime Day Sale
Up to $1500 Off
Get free gifts, flash sale deals and a 30-day price match guarantee.June 28–July 10

https://us.ecoflow.com/pages/prime-day-2023?ref=annoucementbar

warthog
# Posted: 16 Oct 2023 09:23

Why not use a small ups AND the Bluetti? The small ups switches fast for the 10 ms switch and then the Bluetti takes the load.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.