Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / LP Pilot Light
paulz
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 11:07

Hi Guys,

This morning I pulled my ‘Mr. Heater’ (aka Toilet Sitting Warmth) out of storage (Not really cold enough this morning to build a fire). Got the pilot lit, dimly, not enough to light main burner. Tried to poke a pin in the end, didn’t reach anything. Next try, squirted some brake cleaner in there and let it dry some. Voila, off and running, good pilot flame and warmth again!

My on demand water heater gave me trouble a few weeks ago but fixed itself, a rare occurrence around here. What is it that plugs up LP jets when sitting?

pabear89
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 11:48

BUGS. mostly small spiders.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 11:51

Paul, ol' buddy....you may want any spray cleaner to dry A LOT.
Remember, the flames go UP when that stuff ignites!
Um....btdt....

jsahara24
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 13:26

I have one of those big propane torches...just had a similar issue, ended up using some thin wire to clear it out and it was back in business...

Definitely annoying though...

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 15:03

I've ran into the same thing on our Dynaglo gas heater. Cleaning the debris out of the jet is the only solution. I usually bring in my small air compressor and give it a good blast of air.

We've had a lot of moths this spring/summer, about all gone now. One decided the flame on my gas fridge would be a nice warm spot. Needless to say it didn't end well for the moth and him burning up there made the fridge burner inefficient. I always know when the burner head needs cleaned, or the jet is partially plugged as it slowly starts warming a degree or two.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 15:18

Isnt technology fun

paulz
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 17:00

Ok, bugs, could be although it’s been off for a year. Maybe they like the LP fragrance..

Oddly, very little bug probs here. Im deep in the redwoods, have to look up 200’ to see sky. But there is no grass, green or brown. The other day I was hiking at a friends, open sky and lots of brown foliage. Got 3 ticks! I seldom have anything here. Wolves, deer, coyotes yes.

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 18:04

I have heard that poor quality propane can be "oily". Not fully processed and some thick hydrocabons left in it.

I wonder if even good stuff could have a little of that issue and the oil turns gummy over time? Just a guess though.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 18:28

Once I took cold showers in april in NY because I didnt know how to fix a propane tanked water heater. It was rust that was stuck in the pilot. I cant say I have ever had that problem with my buddy heater or on demand water heater.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.