Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Adding two more Chevy Volts
rachelsdad
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 03:17

Currently have 4 x 24 volt 1Kwh batteries. Have had no issues since I left my inverter on with CC off a few years back and the original four were killed

I purchased two more last year but wanted to wait. So all is good.

Is it best to hook the two "new" ones up seperately until they hit float then add them to the other four?

In spite of the somewhat square wheel chemistry they've performed well and at $200 U.S per they are a very reasonable option.

I do have a Creeky harness that can accomodate all six batteries....so best new balancer/BMS out there?

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 08:41

My practice has been to bring the current modules to float.... unhook them then hookup and float the new modules, now hook the old ones back in.

I had usually also checked cell to cell of both the new and the modules that have been in use. (About twice a year, when adding in new modules because ut seemed like a good time.) Just to make sure everything was charging evenly, that there were no bad cells. I never once found a bad cell.

Really like our new LiFePo4 but the Volt modules performed well until I killed them!

rachelsdad
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 09:16

Thanks my friend! That was what I was hoping to hear.

I had usually also checked cell to cell of both the new and the modules that have been in use. (About twice a year, when adding in new modules because ut seemed like a good time.) Just to make sure everything was charging evenly, that there were no bad cells. I never once found a bad cell

Were you using a BMS as well?

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 10:27

All Ive seen about putting lith bats into a bank have been the same, bring all to a common voltage then join.
The same is done when building one battery, the cells are matched then joined.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 13:21

eeezee peezee

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 18:41

Quoting: rachelsdad
Were you using a BMS as well?

No.... that's why when I left the module switches on ( I had each module on it's own breaker) and though the inverter was off and, "it doesn't have a parasitic draw..." but actually does, drew my modules down so far there was no coming back. You know that one!

I never got a good, simple answer from anyone about a BMS that would work with those cells. Volt modules have a very different charging profile than other lithium chemistries.

Maybe the simplest, if it would work would be a Victron Battery Saver. You can set the parameters in them pretty much simply. I just don't know how or if it would work. I had one on my FLA batteries in my shop last winter. It did shut them off when they got low but when the batteries charged up again it only let something like 19v through. Haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it yet.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 19:32

Thanks NBD,

Well as you know they work and if they stay balanced I'm still pleased. Lucikly my CC/Inverter unit can hit the sweetspots.

Wonder what ever happened to Creeky

Nobadays
# Posted: 4 Aug 2023 08:41

Quoting: rachelsdad
Wonder what ever happened to Creeky

Yeah, no idea.... I do see he is still offer solar services online. Seems to be transitioning away from DIY and Chevy Volt modules to selling new complete systems, installation, etc. No more building components.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.