Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Painting Wood Stove
Grizzlyman
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 16:45 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Hi all.

We have an el-cheapo wood stove right now that isn’t so great . I have to reconfigure the pipe/stack anyways since the snow messed up my chimney this last year, and fall is getting closer. I thought now would be a good time to look at getting an actual good stove.

We’re buying a used Vermont castings “intrepid” stove. Many of the new ones come with a Beautiful enamel-like colored coating.

Ours is a bit older, and is just cast iron and we’re considering painting it. It was sand blasted a couple of years ago, so should be just about ready if we want to paint.

Now I don’t expect it to look like a new one… but would we be able to make it look good with the right paint? anyone tried painting a wood stove? How’d it go? Does it last? Any tips? Or suggestions of which paint?

I’ve used just the regular black stove spray paint and that’s worked fairly well… but obviously that’s a bit different.

Thanks in advance.
DB7FCC8C47DF41C1B.jpeg
DB7FCC8C47DF41C1B.jpeg
F8D91DD286CD496A8.jpeg
F8D91DD286CD496A8.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 19:00 - Edited by: gcrank1

Automotive exhaust header paint? Hit up your local auto-parts store for what they have but do the 'google' i-net search for info first.
I think there is something like a 'ceramic' finish exhaust header paint that might look good.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 19:07 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

gcrank1
They do make stove paint specifically for stoves. Just don’t know which one and if it holds up

SE Ohio
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 20:23

I use stove black polish, reapply every year. Light the stove and leave ‘cause it stinks for a bit…

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Manufacturing-KK0057-Polish-Liquid/dp/B000FSVTFC/ref= mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=black+stove+polish&qid=1691454119&sr=8-5

curious
# Posted: 7 Aug 2023 20:49 - Edited by: curious

The VC stoves are all very nice and well-made. I have an old Intrepid in the VT Classic Green color. I have a small bottle of touchup paint. Stove Bright brand is good from what I remember. Many colors and they used to have good color matches for the VC original colors. Look for that brand. IIRC, they have good instructions available for prepping.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 8 Aug 2023 07:37

curious
So you used the paint on vs the spray paint?

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 8 Aug 2023 07:38 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

SE Ohio

Looking to add some color and not paint it black

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Aug 2023 08:22

Quoting: Grizzlyman
Looking to add some color and not paint it black

Dont use automotive exhaust paint. Generaly they dont hold up and discolor alot. It may even be toxic to be in the room when its hot.

My VC defiant is stove polished. If done right it's a shiny almost graphite color gray/black. I had a ivory vigilant but it was to small and had lots of enamel chips. Most of the enamel stoves I see have lots of chips.

Nate R
# Posted: 10 Aug 2023 10:38

I'd HIGHLY suggest looking at/using Stove Bright paints. They are made for this.

https://www.efireplacestore.com/stove-bright-fireplace-accessories.html

This is where I got some for my stove to match the factory paint (Jotul)

They offer colors.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Aug 2023 10:51

I have painted our blaze king with high temperature automotive paint before. Looks good and didn't stink. I doubt that our government would allow a paint to be toxic.
Hey maybe that's my issue

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 10 Aug 2023 12:46

Nate R

Thanks. I was leaning toward the stove bright but just wasn’t sure how it held up and how it was to work with. Unfortunately in a lot of the reviews on various sites it looks like the colors aren’t always 100% what expected, and the spray has issues clogging Also not a lot of pictures of completed projects to see how the finish looks.

Wasn’t sure if this is the best stuff or if there is something else out there that’s more professional.

Stovebright definitely seems to be the most popular.

I might try it out and if it’s too matte I know they make a clear coat for stoves.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 11 Sep 2023 15:06 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Well after deliberation- I wasn’t sold on any of the colors… so just decided to polish up with black stove polish. Turned out great and am very happy!

I spent a few hours rehabbing stove. Cleaning everything, putting new seals on all the seams, fixing the heat shield, thermostat, etc. looks like a brand new stove. Still waiting on ceramic handles as I broke them unfortunately.

Hooked up this weekend and just loved it. Amazing how much better a “good” stove is.
56B01A90C3D34E3C9.jpeg
56B01A90C3D34E3C9.jpeg
5BF1EB0EAF294D9AA.jpeg
5BF1EB0EAF294D9AA.jpeg
DEE1B8A548CA4A79A.jpeg
DEE1B8A548CA4A79A.jpeg

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Sep 2023 12:31

Nice job, that looks great

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Sep 2023 19:09

A quality stove just burns more evenly to me. Must have something to do with less air leaks and a damper that works. The thermostatic air intake really makes a difference in these vermont castings stoves. When you live in the house the stove is in and it's your primary heat it makes alot of difference. I'm going into our 4th winter not buying heating oil and we still have 3/4 of that refill.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Sep 2023 19:20

Classic 'stove black', Been around for a long time because it works!

groingo
# Posted: 13 Sep 2023 19:27

Have been using common Rustoleum Barbecue stove paint, is good for up to 1200 degrees, spray on, wait a half hour and lightly buff, gives it a nice semi gloss sheen and holds up very well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.