Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / siphon water from nearby shallow well
emgarci
# Posted: 19 Aug 2023 13:37

New to group!
Here's my situation.
Cabin is located 250ft laterally and 30ft downhill from seeping spring area. Seeping spring is saturated with ground water year round. I plan to hammer sand pipe shallow water well 5' below surface on edge of seeping ground water and siphon flow to holding tank near cabin. I am assuming i can find some sort of hand pump that sucks water up and then allows it to free flow once it starts siphoning downhill to cabin holding tank.
Is this valid plan?
Is does pitcher pump allow free flow (i assume so since the flapper valves can both open simultaneously when water starts creating vacuum)?
Would you do something different?

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 06:32

I have a seeping spring also. I did an initial dig with a tractor one foot down, three feet wide and six feet long to study the flow. The frogs are very happy. The trench stays full year round.

All these types of spring I have seen on youtube, they dig out the source to get the most flow possible. Then put in a spring box then pipe it down to a barrel. They then cover the dug out area to keep ground water out. I guess with clay. I haven't decided that part yet.

If you drive a pipe in, what happens when you hit a rock 2 feet down?

In you instance, I would plan on a collection point up the hill and use gravity to feed down to a faucet. Set up a test on top the ground to see how it works before permanent install.

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 19:40

Keeping surface water out at the source collection. I might use thick mil plastic over a tent shape clean dirt fill so surface water runs off left and right.

The tan color dirt from deep, not the black loam surface dirt that would have bacteria.

I saw one guy use large (18" diameter?) black plastic culvert pipe x2 standing on end with drilled holes, buried 8-10 feet. Gallons of water.

DaveBell
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 19:51

pics
IMG_0205_2.JPG
IMG_0205_2.JPG

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 06:05

I found and improved a spring on my property and is our primary water source. Its seasonal but every spring I pump 500gal into holding tanks on a hill and never pump it again.

My spring head is a piece of U shaped stainless steel with two pipes coming out. One overflow and one supply to my spring box. My spring box is the brown 55gal drum. The pipe with the holes goes to my pump and the other is a overflow. I also have a overflow in the pipe between the spring box and spring head.

Having overflows in the system is very important because if things get clogged your spring water can go around your spring head making all that work for nothing.

My pump is just a 120v 1/2hp jet pump that pumps about 60ft vertical. To pump 500gal it takes about 1hr through 1in black poly.
20200607_185231.jpg
20200607_185231.jpg
20210411_115651.jpg
20210411_115651.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.