Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Old Chainsaws
paulz
# Posted: 19 Aug 2023 22:04

Last week I took down this halfway fallen tree that was threatening the shed below it. For the last few years I have been using an 80v lithium saw, no big cutting though. This job gave me the opportunity to drag out all my old 2 stroke saws for a revisit . Put fresh fuel in (I had stored them dry) and fired them up outside the cabin for testing. Started and ran fine but once down at the tree they wouldn’t restart once warm. No amount of pulling, choking, starter fluid would help. Hmm. Next morning back at the cabin, back to working again cold.

Finally got the job done using the 80v, but it would only do 1-2 cuts between charges, and I only have one battery.

So what’s with the old saws? Weak ignition once hot? Bad internal seals? Modern ethanol fuel?

My neighbor kid is hot on these new fangled fuel injected chainsaws. Is that what it takes now?
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1425.jpeg
IMG_1425.jpeg

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Aug 2023 04:27

Ethanol from pump gas ate up my Stihl 440 Magnum carburetor. I use Stihl gas now.

rpe
# Posted: 20 Aug 2023 07:39

We've got a collection of old saws as well, and they do need attention to stay operating well. Majority of the time issues are fuel related - usually gummed up/contaminated carb. Not sure about your hot-start issues - this was just with one saw, or same symptom on multiple? Low compression could cause that symptom of hard hot-start. Also check and clean out muffler. If it's been sitting for a while, and then run hard, carbon deposits might have flaked off and plugged the muffler exit.
Electric saws are handy for small jobs, but nothing beats the power of the 2-stroke on bigger jobs. Our biggest saw is the Stihl 088 my son and I rebuilt from box of parts. Big 'No Wimps' sticker on the side.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Aug 2023 16:22

Thanks guys. So this morning at the cabin, both Macs fired right up, and the Monkey Wards, whatever that is. The Stihl and the Husky wouldn’t and upon pulling the plugs I couldn’t detect spark, though they both gave me a slight jolt. I’ll try new plugs.
I still have to buck that tree so more chainsaw fun next week.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 09:40

Pretty fair chainsaw day yesterday. Had this dead trunk blocking the driveway. My gas Stihl and Mac are still down, so the 80v Li did the bulk. When that died, late and no time for a recharge, I grabbed the little B&D 40v I just bought new pre-Li batteries for (Mcad or whatever). Went through both of those with only one cut, no comparison to the Li. Had a genny running charging the 80v, and an old corded 110 ac saw kicking around so I drug a cord over and finished with that and got the road cleared.

Parts arrived for the Mac, will finish the bucking with that. The Li saw is good for initial take down and clearing, gas for repeated cuts.
IMG_2354.jpeg
IMG_2354.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.