Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Needing to speak with a knowledgeable member.
NorseVikinAesir
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 13:02 - Edited by: NorseVikinAesir

I'm new to homesteading and have a few questions on projects I need to get completed. Mainly a woodstove install before the cold weather hits. I'm knowledgeable about a lot of things, just not woodstove and the safety surrounding them and their installs. Hopefully I can trade some knowledge with some like minded people. Thanks!

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 13:16

The manual should detail many of the install requirements as each stove is different. However, each local has different requirements you need to follow as well (whichever is stricter, the manual or the local code).

Around here, people usually get a WETT inspection once they have completed install.

NorseVikinAesir
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 16:19

There is no manual and definitely no code in my area. I'm a Contractor and own my own business. So yeah, no code, code enforcement, etc. This stove I took over from a family friend so I know how they had it plumbed, but it definitely wasn't correct nor safe.Thanks for the reply

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 16:56

The manufacturer should have a spec on clearances to combustibles for the stove pipe, above and below the stove along with each side and how big the hearth under it needs to me.

Have you tried looking up a manual online?

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 19:10

At the least, you will need a Class A chimney and seriously maintain the combustable clearances all around stove and 'pipe'.
Out the roof there are considerations of how high the outlet from the ridgetop, etc., bracings and ice/snow protection.
All that general stuff can be found on the various 'woodstove forums', as well as lots of stove specific info.

Fanman
# Posted: 23 Aug 2023 06:48

In general, an older unlisted stove needs to be 36" away from any combustible surfaces and single wall stovepipe needs 3X the pipe diameter, e.g. 18" for a 6" pipe. Those distances can be reduced by up to 2/3 with a suitable heat shield. Anything going through a roof, ceiling, or wall needs to be a class A insulated chimney. Newer stoves may be designed to be closer but you need the documentation.

travellerw
# Posted: 23 Aug 2023 15:07

As long as you have the manufacturer and model, there should be a manual to download.

If there is no manual or its a DIY stove, then it would be outside my comfort zone for install. Fanman's post is probably your best resource. Otherwise bust out your googlefoo and take your risks!

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2023 21:19

You need to check with your insurer too. Ours will not insure with a wood stove installed, ANY wood stove, installed to the best specs out there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.