Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Cooler tha a cooler
Ptomaine
# Posted: 28 Aug 2023 20:20 - Edited by: Ptomaine

I took the plunge and bought a Unique propane refrigerator. A buddy has the 8cf model at his place. I decided the larger freezer on the 9.7cf model made more sense for me. I started my search with my propane provider. Big$$, but price included delivery and installation. I checked Menards and their price was $200 cheaper and there was that annoying 11% rebate that can only be used to buy more stuff from Menards. An 80 mile drive to pick up myself; not sure delivery charge. Home Depot wanted $150 less. The same 80 mile drive or $55 delivery. The nearest Lowe's is 120 miles away so I didn't think it was going to be a good deal. At Lowes.com they were asking $200 less than Menards and were offering free direct shipment to the cabin. When I went to check out I discovered that Lowe's gives the 10% veteran's discount on appliances (even special orders). HD does not give their discount on either. It did take a week longer than originally quoted. Apparently the fridge liked Minneapolis so much it stayed for 5 days.
I have been enjoying it for a week now, and it is a game changer . I no longer have to make the 30+ mile trip into town every 2-3 days to buy ice and food.
Fridge
Fridge

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 09:53

A fridge is a wonderfull thing and one of the biggest things I wanted onsite before we even started building.

The propane fridge I used before would need about 24hrs to cool down. Does this one also do that?

Ptomaine
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 10:47 - Edited by: Ptomaine

On initial start up I let it go about three hours before I checked to see how things were going. I had left a couple of water bottles in the freezer (one on bottom & one on shelf). The one on the bottom was starting to freeze. Within 8 hours, both were frozen and the gallon of water I had put in the fridge was nice and cold. This is right in line with what the manufacturer says. I have already have had to turn the thermostat from max setting of 4 down to 2. It was just starting to freeze soda that was in the door at 3. The fudge bars and bread dough in the freezer are frozen solid. It was also in the mid 80's, seeing this is a Canadian refrigerator I should say 30°, the day it was delivered. The ambient temp in the cabin was in the mid 70's.

After the veteran discount and taxes, this set me back $1800. It will take a few years to recoup the cost. I had been spending about $80 a month for ice, and I will spend less for propane than I would spend on gasoline for the extra trips into town. I have a 250 gallon propane tank here. I also have a direct vent heater and a full size gas range in the cabin.

travellerw
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 11:13

I really wanted a propane fridge as I knew fridges are the biggest draw on a solar system.

Unfortunately the price up here was absolutely painful. With our week dollar costs are like %40 more than down there.

Having a fridge is a game changer for sure. Glad its working out for you!

Ptomaine
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 12:38

That really sucks when you realize my refrigerator was imported to the US from Canada. At least I did my part to support the Canadian economy and not buy a Chinese fridge off Amazon.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 20:31

$1800 wow. That's alot more than I was expecting. I have less than that into my whole solar setup including a 120v fridge and $200 generator.

travellerw
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 23:33

Quoting: Brettny
$1800 wow.

They are SUPER expensive for what they are... but not everyone wants to know how to build a solar system. Or deal with the messing around to make it work and maintain (I hate scrubbing the bird poop off mine).

There is something to be said about buying a product that works out of the box and then only spending a little on the fossil fuel to make it chooch!

Both solutions are great for the people they are targeted too. I'm a cheap bugger and just couldn't swallow the price. So I ended up with a freezer converted to a fridge that runs on my solar. The propane solution would have saved me many many hours though.

and just because.. GO CANADA.. We don't make a lot of things.. So nice to see a product made here.

FishHog
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 07:50

Unique is pricy but very good quality and very efficient. I got a 12v model a few years ago to replace an old propane fridge and am very happy with it
Still have a propane for busy times at the cottage when we need more space

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 08:08

Quoting: Ptomaine
I took the plunge and bought a Unique propane refrigerator.

And the most important part, the ice cream in the freezer.

Nobadays
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 08:53

We bought a Crystal Cold, Amish built propane refrigerator 3 years ago when our old one quit. I forget the brand on the old one but they were no longer in business and parts were not available.

The Crystal Cold has worked very well, it does take 24 hours to really cool down and stabilize. It is extremely cold so it is always set between 1 and 2 and this keeps it at about 34*F. It is pretty efficient on gas, going through ~7 gallons/month. We do have a Magic Chef 10cuft electric fridge as well. The gas fridge is mainly for drinks, vegetables in the crispers and more freezer space... and if we have a solar equipment failure.

Ptomaine
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 12:04

One of the reasons I went propane is that I have limited sunlight for solar. I have a southern exposure, but the property on my east is forest with 50-70' trees. It is 10:30 now and my front yard is just begining to catch sunlight. If I were to cut down about 25 trees on my property, and place the solar panels in the middle of my front yard, I might be able to catch eight hours of sunlight in the middle if summer. Now that I am retired, I spend about 40% of my time at the cabin. This seemed to be a reasonable way to improve my life and it should eventually pay back my investment. I could have hooked up to the electric grid for $9-10 thousand, that cost could never be recouped.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 19:40

I could have hooked up to the electric grid for $9-10 thousand, that cost could never be recouped

The value and pool of buyers increases when you have grid power.

I get about 2hrs of sun total on my pannels and maybe 30min a day on them all at once. I have three 230w pannels.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 19:41

I could have hooked up to the electric grid for $9-10 thousand, that cost could never be recouped.

Well, I am hooking to the grid and I am already out $29,611 bucks, I still need to pay the guy to plow in the wire, probably another 4K or a little more. I know my property value will now be worth more if I ever sell it. I know I can get it. And till then, my visits will be much nicer plus I can have ice cream from my freezer.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 20:31 - Edited by: ICC

Not everyone wants to do off-grid solar. It does take a commitment in time learning and effort and while being your own power company sounds excellent from the point of no monthly bills from the utility company, it also means you are on your own if/when trouble strikes.

I chose off-grid as I have had off-grid experience for 20 years. The fact that the power company's initial estimate was almost 3X what toyota_mdt_tech has paid so far, up to my property line, was also a factor. (They would have run through the national forest and that had to be underground with a stretch through steep slopes and some very rocky terrain. And then another 1-7/8 mile on my property on top of that.)

I do have ice cream so all is well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2023 22:33

Quoting: ICC
I do have ice cream so all is well.

That is all that counts in the end.

Brettny
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 06:11

Since we are talking about my favorite food group..I also have ice cream in my fridge. But the nearest power pole is about 1mi away and I'm sure the power company isnt going to want to put power up a seasonal road. I never even got a quote for power because the price would be astounding. I also dont want the road paved or plowed.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 08:13 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Brett, they dont plow in the road, they can go inside a ditch (3 feet deep) or on the shoulder. They will put it anywhere you want it, seasonal or not. I didnt want them plowing in my place on my nice road, so sent them boondogg'n through my property (through the woods). The roads, they will be on the shoulder or ditch. They will cross the road somewhere. Not sure, they hashed that out last visit between contractor and the local PUD

My power was 1/4 mile to get it to my corner, maybe a little over another 1/8 mile for the boondogging section.

Wire run along bottom is 1/4 mile to the inch between red pins, then goes up the spur road and you see the boondog section with the dog leg.
jjranch_map.png
jjranch_map.png

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 11:09

We freighted a small freezer/refrigerator out to our cabin. I was able to use it when I was out there hunting moose. Having refrigeration in a remote location is real nice. Maybe ill need to freight some ice cream out to

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 14:33

toyota_mdt_tech. Re: picture.... Spaces between the trees. Very good.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 15:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: ICC
toyota_mdt_tech. Re: picture.... Spaces between the trees. Very good.

Oh man, I have a before and after the forest treatment, same location.

My lot starts at the RH pin, my SW corner. But the lot you do see was treated about 10 years ago.

Ground looks messy, but a few months later, all filled in with lush green grass as seen behind this campsite

I feel way better going into fire season now, still always improving my odds.
Before treatment
Before treatment
after treatment
after treatment
campsite5a.jpg
campsite5a.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.