Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / small dual fuel generator
cabinfun3
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 13:02

Anyone have any experience with any of the 2200 watt dual fuel generators? cold weather? occasional use? I like the thought of propane but wonder if luging around the extra tank for an hour or less of use per start is worth it? Thanks

gwindhurst
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 13:39

IMO, for occasional use the propane is a better option. You don't have to worry about ethanol fuel separation, water condensation and fouling the carburetor.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 14:32

A good friend bought the Champion 2200?, maybe 2500W dual fuel based upon how well our 2000W gasoline only has worked out, he is very happy with it. His past experiences with occasional use gen's was always gas going bad/plugged carb issues. No more.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 15:03 - Edited by: ICC

Keepin mind that propane has a lower energy density than gasoline. Measuring by volume, a gallon of propane contains about 25% less energy than gasoline. So, you burn through propane faster. On the plus side you can connect a propane-burning generator up to whatever size supply tank you want and run very long periods without refueling.

Check the generator specs before purchase. The dual-fuel ones I have looked at all produce about 10% less startup and running watts on propane.

The altitude where the generator is used may also play a factor in making a choice. For every 1000 feet of altitude, you lose about 3% of the engine horsepower. What happens to the electrical output in the real world can be a little fuzzy. If the engine that is used is just big enough to wind the generator up to full maximum wattage at sea level (the usual standard for fuel burning engines) then the power loss at higher and higher altitudes will be more noticeable. If the engine power is down then so will the maximum watts. If the engine is more oversized the power output drop at altitude will be less. None of the manufacturers talk about altitude power loss. At least I have found it hard to find.

Many, maybe most or all, generators can be fitted with high altitude carb jets for when burning gasoline. That will let the engine burn cleaner and reduce spark plug issues. I don't believe any changes are needed for higher altitude operation on propane, but I am uncertain.

Fanman
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 15:28

I got a cheapo "Sportsman" brand dual fuel generator, 2200W. I've only run it on propane and plan to keep it that way (so the carb doesn't gunk up). Propane has somewhat less energy density, yes, but it will ruin 18 hours on a 20# barbecue tank, far more than the internal gas tank, and it's enough to run the whole cabin (fridge, lights, music) with the suicide cord when the power is out (frequently).

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 16:04

I had a 1kw sportsman that I put an hour meter on when it was new. I got 100hrs out of it before it got a rod knock. I own a 3.5kw sportsman inverter now that's only ever has E0 fuel.

You do get 20% less output on propane.

cabinfun3
# Posted: 4 Sep 2023 21:26

Is your friend running propane only? or do they switch back and forth?

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Sep 2023 07:59

He ran it on a little gasoline to be sure it worked, ran empty/drained float bowl and tested with LP. All was good and since has just run the LP.
His plan is to only use the gasoline as a backup to the LP.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.