Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Oil lamp
paulz
# Posted: 21 Sep 2023 13:50

Found this, couple more and a jar of fluid. Does it need a wick?
IMG_1501.jpeg
IMG_1501.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Sep 2023 14:23

Looks like it has a wick adjuster on the side.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Sep 2023 17:24

Yes it does need a wick.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Sep 2023 18:53

Forget about other than using as a prop.
Really
Btdt
Use the LED lights and find happiness

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Sep 2023 19:35 - Edited by: darz5150

I use some of mine outside filled with citronella oil to keep the bugs away, and extra mood lighting for get togethers and cook outs. We spend a ton of time outside.
We usually go through about 2 gallons per year. Way cheaper than tiki torches.
Rolls of wick are cheap on Amazon.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Sep 2023 00:36

I agree with gcrank1. LED lights are the way to go. You can buy small, solar lights and put them inside the lamp chimney. They would look lovely and be safe too.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Sep 2023 16:08

Thanks guys. Here is the pile of glass I found in an old shed on my property. Some are pretty old, no idea of any is valuable.

I currently have enough LEDs to light up everything, just thought it might be fun to play with. But your right, fire danger, plus it’s not like I need something else to do..
IMG_1510.jpeg
IMG_1510.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 15:58

So I gave all those bottles to a friend. I guess last night he did some searching and came up with interesting story:

“doing some preliminary research on 2 of those old bottles you gave me. The ones that say Buffalo Bottling Works BBW San Rafael CALA have an interesting history. Came from a company buy out between Buffalo Soda Works and Marin Bottling Works or Meyers Bottling company that got its pure water from San Rafael creek that flowed pristine from the slopes of Mt Tamalpais. this all happened in late 1800s to 1905”

Fanman
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 19:57

I have a couple of lamps like that at the cabin and use them when the power goes out, as it did during last night's storm.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 20:48

Ive never had the elec power go out at our off-grid cabin, lol
But admit to a pair of large wicked lamps on the table that got tested out once. Man, where those DIM! We used them pretty regularly at our old cabin for 30+ years; maybe thats why Im half blind now?

mj1angier
# Posted: 24 Sep 2023 23:54

Electric and LED are great for task lighting.

But warm light from a oil lamp is good for the soul.

It's like the difference from a propane fire to a wood fire. They both give off heat, but one touches something primal inside

paulz
# Posted: 26 Sep 2023 19:58

As an old Western Movie buff, I have this image of a late night poker game at my cabin, under the warm glow of oil lamps.

But with my luck a fight will break out, lamps get knocked over and burn the place down.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Sep 2023 20:38

Quoting: mj1angier
But warm light from a oil lamp is good for the soul

True, many people find the warm glow pleasing and comforting.

LED light does not have to be a harsh cold bluish light as many cheap LEDs are. There are LED emitters that are available in warm CCT (color temperature) along with very high CRI (color rendition index; 100 equals perfect rendition of colors). They can actually give you light that is just what we remember from our old incandescent bulbs. Maybe not easy to find, especially at bargain prices, but available if one knows what to look for. I have several lamps with high CRI and 2700-2800 CCT that have low power demands and low heat emissions of an LED along with the nice warm glow.

As well an LED will not emit soot into the interior space and the fire danger is greatly lessened. No need to add liquid fuels either.

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Sep 2023 20:42

Paul, the concussion from a black powder revolver across the poker table will snuff the lamp out, then everybody in the room is blind.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.