Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Off grid bathroom sink drain into toilet tank
crowsnest2002
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 10:52

So the scenario. Small bathroom under stairwell. I would like to install a toilet, you know how wives are. I would also like it to be no power required. Property will have non potable either hauled or harvested from roof. Thinking about having a sink in bathroom with pitcher pump going to non potable tank and draining into toilet tank for flushing. I'm really wanting no power and total use of all water available. Anyone using a similar circumstance? Any photos available for ideas? Thanks to anyone that can assist with ideas or suggestions.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:05

I'm not sure of all of your ideas, but my first thought
when I read some of it is that you might like your sink draining into the toilet tank to be able to reuse the water for flushing. If this is part of the idea, I could see it working by having a hole in one side of the tank or top for the sink drain to enter, then an overflow hole to avoid too much water. It sounds like a good idea to be able to reuse dirty sink water.

Tim_Ohio

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:10

I'm not sure if would work for your scenario but the Japanese have toilets with a sink integrated into the tank. They sell various kits on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sink-Twice-Glacier-piece-flush/dp/B074KNYT46
Toilet Sink
Toilet Sink

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:11

https://www.amazon.com/Twice-toilet-tanks-measuring-15-25/dp/B01EXPTOJA/ref=asc_df_B0 1EXPTOJA/?tag=smacab-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193156951420&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11857 883587149663954&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058761&h vtargid=pla-312742073475&psc=1
You can use a boat foot pump and keep the water under the place or in a bucket some where else.

Hand pumps kind of suck for washing hands because one hand is always in use. The leathers like to dry up too.

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:43

Good thinking about hand pump being an issue. Maybe some sort of foot pump? The property has no electric, or water. I could do a small dc pump, but trying to avoid Gen run times for recharging. Also no good solar situation with it as well. If I have to haul water I want to reuse as much as possible.

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:48

Quoting: Tim_Ohio
then an overflow

Toilets do have an overflow already in the tank I believe. So I guess just drill a fill hole in side and keep a wall mounted sink higher for adequate drain? Cap off fill valve for toilet. Thoughts?

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:49

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Suitable-Flexible-Rubber-Nylon/dp/B00S59ULW0/ref=asc_df _B00S59ULW0/?tag=smacab-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312062016371&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=49 96471512508973250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058761 &hvtargid=pla-572087221635&psc=1

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 11:56 - Edited by: gcrank1

Then where is the flush to go?
Fwiw:
Flush T's are wasteful of water and the plumbing and septic add complications in the install and seasonal maintenance.
Consider making a nice box enclosure for a diy composting T (lots of pics and info online) and using the old tried and true wash basin (even a small sink draining into a bucket to toss) and pitcher of water.
If males use an 'outdoor facility' most of the time it will really cut down on the uses of the indoor. Recommended is a urine diverter to its own external drain or catch bottle (urine is what makes most of the smell if left). That bottle should be dumped daily (then 'flush out' that urine bottle).
This may sound complicated but it is actually harder to write up than do it.
We used the traditional small outhouse/pit T for decades at our cabins but went to this system and will never go back!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 13:00 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

Here's a picture of my sink setup in my tiny cottage bathroom. We've been using USB rechargeable water dispenser pumps and just filling a container under the sink with water to pump out of. For toothbrushing and hand washing it does the job. They are dirt cheap and pretty reliable.
Sink Setup 2
Sink Setup 2

ICC
# Posted: 13 Oct 2023 19:15

Sometimes grey water will start to be odoriferous sooner than one may think. Soaps, skin oils, etc. can also cause a slimy sort of build up inside the tank. That could cause problems with float mechanisms, flap valves, etc. inside the toilet tank.

Question. If you are to drain sink water into the toilet tank, what water will be used (& where does it come from) for those times when the sink hasn't been used enough to fill the toilet tank?

IMO, if you want to re-use sink water to flush the toilet it might be better to drain the sink into a pail and then dump some of that directly into the toilet bowl.

Grey water systems usually do not store grey water without disinfection as bacteria grow quickly in most greywater. And there are many recommendations to use the grey water within 24 hours.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.