Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Article: “17 Off-Grid Communication Options”
KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Dec 2023 13:30 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A very “comprehensive” article here. Smoke signals? Possibly too comprehensive?

Note: We don’t have internet at our cabin and I don’t want to pay for it but would like to have a few cheap cameras up to review the “goings on” between visits. Trail cams? They might get stolen, and I don’t want to have to climb a ladder just to pull memory cards and recharge batteries but they still may be the best cheapest option.

Reolink cameras or the Panasonic Window Camera with a BIG card seem like good options. I put up a Panasonic window camera in the city and it’s surprisingly good. Better in many ways than our newer outdoor cameras.

17 Off-Grid Communication Options [From High-Tech to Low-Tech!]

https://www.outdoorhappens.com/off-grid-communication-options/

…

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 21:21

As a ham radio guy, we have a mountain top 6meter and 2 meter repeater just a few miles from my cabin 6000 feet above sea level, so we can communicate for a very long distance, well over 100 miles.

But for more local and to other members, was thinking about a GMRS repeater. This way, locals can keep in touch, fire watch, neighborhood watch, like a big party line.

I see a GMRS repeater is about $550 for the whole kit.

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 23:06

Oh my, another rabbit hole for me to fall down.....

# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 23:50

Your cell phone provider can offer you a data only SIM card for a little extra monthly.

travellerw
# Posted: 20 Dec 2023 23:54

We do a small battery backed MIFI device at our cabin (Rogers since I have a view of the tower). Its an unlocked Telus device I bought off Kijiji!

We have a bunch of Eufy security cameras spread around the property (darn hard to spot and require climbing to get too). Most are battery powered and require charging every 3-6 months. However, just today I put up a really nice Solocam S340 that has AI tracking and is fully solar powered (its own panel). It spots movement at like 100M and will automatically switch to the 3X zoom camera, then track the person/vehicle/animal automatically.

Since we are in the middle of nowhere with ZERO other WIFI signals our MIFI device has crazy range. I think our furthest camera is like 200 meters and still works (low video quality when streaming, but high quality on the internal storage).

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Dec 2023 15:56

I just hit up my little cabin community about a GMRS repeater. This is 50 watts UHF FM. We are high up, so we would have great coverage into the valley below. They can use simplex ie use same output frequency to TX or the 5Khz shift for the repeater. Found a full system all set up, just need to buy a duplexer so I can use one antenna.

I sent it to one of the board members to bring it up Told them Id buy the gear initially, they can keep it up and running repairs etc with dues. Be open to all members.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Dec 2023 21:35

Cool idea. Do you have power at the proposed site?

We (family ranch) have a 50 watt repeater we share with the neighboring pueblo. We provided the high point. The pueblo owns the radio equipment and solar power source. The pueblo utilizes most of the capacity. We get to use the system. It took almost a year of talks to get it together. Everyone seems happy with it. Most of the pueblo land has no cell service and dispersed housing, so the repeater is a boon to them. The pueblo also uses the site for their tribal police radio.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2023 08:35

Izzy, my spot would work, but I am in a bowl, but still high up. One board member I sent email too has a place on the rim, be perfect. He lives there and has power. Can add in a battery with a charging system for power outages.

The last big fire took out all comms, no cell, no TV, power went down, this would of been super handy. Waiting for their reply, we will see. The ball is now in their court. Great deal for them.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.