Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Septic System (BC)
MOAC Man
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 17:32

Hi everyone, new to this site.
We purchased a small cabin in Southern BC last year and have been battling with both the contractor and Health Canada with regards to design, planning etc. of a septic system. This battle is largely to due to procrastination on the part of the contractor and a few hurdles that he now has to jump for Health Canada.
Does anyone have any concrete information on when a septic system is necessary when sewage cannot be piped into the normal city type sewage system?
I am aware of set backs etc from water supplies and these are not a factor.
Thank you all.
Howard.

adamclay
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 06:06

MOAC man,

The septic laws in BC are among the most ridiculous anywhere. Plainly put, in BC, every single property with a house on it requires a septic system. However, not only a septic system, but as you know, a custom designed one properly configured etc. You need to get it planned and so forth. I don't know all the specifics but when we got into it, we found out it would cost anywhere from 25k-40k just for the septic, and we laughed.

Have you considered aiming for a incinerating system? The incinerating system I was looking at had a capacity of 24 gallons per day of total waste. It handled all waste (gray water and toilet waste, which is pumped via a macerator toilet). I think the manufacturer was ecojohn. It runs off propane and was around $6,000? They also have much higher capacity ones but the price goes up a lot. For us, our plan is to use much less than 24 gallons a day of waste water, so it works. There are major downsides to this though

1) It uses propane and probably lots of it
2) Not good for the environment
3) It can break

But for us, the $6,000 price tag compared to $40k made the decision for us. In BC, incinerating systems are allowed, as are composting toilets and lagoons. So maybe look into these other options besides a septic tank which will cost a lot of money.

hattie
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 11:58

Quoting: MOAC Man
Does anyone have any concrete information on when a septic system is necessary when sewage cannot be piped into the normal city type sewage system?

I'm not sure what you mean by "when" a septic system is necessary, etc. A septic system must be in place before you can reside in a cabin/house. There are many types of systems. Some of the more compact systems are not acceptable for "seasonal" use as they must be used on a regular basis to work properly and they also require electricity. When we first purchased here in BC we loooked into a composting toilet system, but they didn't want "grey" water (ie. from a shower or sink) put onto the ground and said they wouldn't approve it.

Here is a link to the septic regulations in BC. Have fun - it is 216 pages!!! http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/protect/pdf/SPM_V2_2007.pdf

I don't understand why Health Canada is getting involved because this is a provincial matter. It is my understanding that all systems in BC must be installed by an "authorized person".

Hope this helps! Good luck!

MOAC Man
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 14:41 - Edited by: MOAC Man

Thanks everyone.
We seem to be going forward with our contractor albeit slowly!
Howard.

Cornelia
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 15:01

Hello,

I am wondering what you ended up using as your septic field?
Thanks, C

TyDziedzic
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 17:24

Hello great people and blog... I'm curious if anyone can recommend a composting toilet near or around the lower mainland.

We're a production company who's shooting a demo for a travel television series and would like to get involved in the changeout of waste.

Tanyowski
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:10

where does one find an incinerating system? i too am in the lower mainland, facing similar septic issues. i can't find any local dealers, or bc dealers for that matter. thank you!

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 20:28

I'm totally amazed that your septic would cost 40K. I installed a large system in Northern California for about 7k US.

The soil where I am perks well so I could install a 'standard' system consisting of a 1500 gallon tank and a 15 x 75 foot drainfield with chambers (rather than gravel and pipe) which takes the tank effluent and lets it absorb into the ground.

If you are located where there is no soil to perk, because you are on solid rock with little/no soil, then you would have to install an engineered system which consists of soil/dirt/sand/gravel brought onto the property to make an engineered mound of soil that will absorb the effluent and allow it to biodegrade. This is an extreme measure that can cost 30-40k here, but is rarely done.

The general trend in Health departments these days seems to be toward ever more complex systems which cost more. Here in California, there are some areas, such as Santa Barbara, where there is high population density and a large number of failing or inadequate older septic systems that are allowing pathogens into the local water streams. The State Health Dept. of California is responding to this by proposing procedures for septic installation which raise the cost, such as yearly monitoring of the activity of the system paid for by the owner. This may be necessary in areas of high density such as Santa Barbara, but the State Health officials are proposing these changes for all areas of the state, including areas of low density where systems are generally far away from each other. Health officials in local jurisdictions of low population density areas are crying foul, stating that such regulation is not necessary in their areas, and that they are able to keep a handle on the situation without these severe and costly regulations.

I installed my system as soon as I could because the local health officials warned me that if I waited, I might have to meet the new and more costly rules.

Explain why your system is so expensive. It should not be so costly to get water into the earth where it will naturally biodegrade. Unless, as I said, you have no earth on the property to put the water into, since rock does not absorb water.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.