Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Insight needed on insulating pre-built cabin.
CabinLiver9000
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 15:53

Howdy!

I've got a 10x18 prebuilt with a gambrel style ceiling. No room for soffit vents, was not built with a ridge vent. Winter here in northern AZ is settling in and I cannot find a decent answer as to how to properly do this.

Rafters are with 2x4s so there's not a lot of space to work with. Best solutions I've found are to either :

1: Spray foam the whole ceiling, or
2: Rigid foam board with spray foaming the seams/edges.

Fiberglass has sorta been rooted out as an option as I do not have proper venting or space options for it. Anyone have experience with a gambrel style on 2x4s?

I need some temporary insulation for the next few weeks. I run a pretty decent propane heater inside for now but have a wood stove that is yet to be installed. For now its a bit too cold. Until I find a proper solution for the ceiling, would it be feasible to put up reflectix across the rafters to keep some of that heat in? Uploading pics for reference. Thaks y'all! Turning to you for advice. Been researching and googling for a while now.

CabinLiver9000
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 15:56

Pics of the non-vented ceiling and the sealed soffit areas inside
ezgif12a9aa95666.j.jpg
ezgif12a9aa95666.j.jpg
ezgif174b1144a47.j.jpg
ezgif174b1144a47.j.jpg
ezgif1f6da81864c.j.jpg
ezgif1f6da81864c.j.jpg

CabinLiver9000
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 15:57

Bays are 24 on center up there as well.

travellerw
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 16:38

Don't bother with reflectix.. Waste of money and time.

Based on your pics and description, you really only have one "good" solution. Spray foam.

DIY kits work, but is a really horrible job. I would hire it out and since I was bringing them out, I would just have everything done (ceiling, walls, ect).

Cedar Fever
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 16:41

I took the roof off and put down sheathing, foam board, more sheathing and the metal roof. It’s been the best upgrade yet.

CabinLiver9000
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 17:39

Quoting: travellerw

Don't bother with reflectix.. Waste of money and time.

Would it be at all advisable as a temporary, one month or less solution? Just to make it more bearable while inside in the meantime?

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 19:04

Staple up some plastic sheeting to the rafters.
We used to do that in a pole building in winter to make a heated shop space, did a 'ceiling' and hanging walls.
My great g-mother hung blankets in her old uninsulated farm house to make a small 'bedroom' that included the room oil burner space heater.
In our 16x24 one room cath ceiling cabin I run a cheap ceiling fan up toward the peak, the hot air rises from the lp wall furnace into the peak, the fan pushes air up which then comes down the walls to the floor and keeps mixing the room air for a more even temp. If you arent doing even a small fan in a cool corner pointed across the room toward the roof all your heat is just sitting up there.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 20:48

Quoting: Cedar Fever
It’s been the best upgrade yet.

I agree. With 2x4's framing the roof all you can get with spray-in foam is something between R10 and R12. Doing what Cedar Fever did may be more work but you can have as much R-value as you desire.

-izzy

spencerin
# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 21:22

Best permanent option for you is spray foam.

For the temporary option, how many weeks is a "few" weeks in this instance?

# Posted: 2 Jan 2024 22:28

Once you spend money on cheaper materials , and put in the effort to install it , your temporary solution becomes permanent .

It's very difficult to tear something out after an installation and removing it almost never happens.

And every time you look at it, you'll regret not spending the extra money or effort to do it properly the first time.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Jan 2024 06:05

I would do what cabin fever did. With the heavy sun load your going to have on that roof 3.5in of insulation isnt enough. That's not even enough in a semi cold climate.

How did they insulate the floor?

cabinfun3
# Posted: 10 Jan 2024 20:39

Just thinkin out loud. Could you insulate the floor by putting down an inch or two of pink foamboard and put plywood over the top. Or are there moisture issues that could happen?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.