Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Chinese Diesel Heater-Feedback Advice Needed
jvgo
# Posted: 18 Jan 2024 12:30

Hello, I have been exploring the possibility of using one of the cheap Chinese diesel heaters for supplemental heat at the cabin. I have seen a number of YouTube videos where people modify a cheap diesel heater to run on the exterior of the cabin and blow heat inside. Typically with a 12V battery with the heater outside as the power source.

My setup is a 12x24 cabin on skids, gravel base. Power is a Honda EU2200i and a Bluetti AC180. Main heat source is a boxwood stove woodburner.

My thoughts are that a diesel heater might be able to supply heat overnight as the boxwood stove has a limited burn time. The battery could then be charged back up the next morning from the generator along with the Bluetti.

Does anyone have experience with these diesel heaters and is it feasible to mount one on the cabin exterior?

Thanks!!
Cabin
Cabin

# Posted: 18 Jan 2024 14:00 - Edited by: 909

Instead of a diesel, I opted for a Martin 8000 LPF .

I keep the temp @ 22 C ( 71 F) indoors, 24 / 7 .

And a 20 lb propane tank gets swapped weekly.

MJH
# Posted: 18 Jan 2024 14:05

I have run a couple of them in my 8x16 "shed" and posted about it elsewhere here. I was running a bank of 100ah LiFePO4 batteries. Depending on where your are and how long the "nights" are (they are long and very cold in northern Wisconsin) you may not get completely through the night on a similar setup.

I would strongly encourage you to put the heater on the interior and route the intake and exhaust outside (there's no risk if you do it correctly). I found the ability of the heater to work well was greatly dependent upon the temp of the air it was operating in... and when it was out in the cold pulling in 15 degree ambient air, it would get warmer but struggle to get "warm." I also had one of the lines freeze up on a -17 degree night.

For what it's worth, I've gone to a smaller wood stove for the time being. It gets A LOT faster a lot quicker. For nights that are really cold I'll run the generator with a portable oil filled radiator space heater if I'm feeling lazy.

Nobadays
# Posted: 18 Jan 2024 14:08

Here is a link to lots of discussions on here about these heaters.... LINK

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Jan 2024 18:56

Box wood wood stoves are the cheap $300 new stoves? If so the problem is the stove dosnt seal well. If the manufacturer dosnt list a "burn time" I wouldnt buy one. If you want a good nights sleep and it gets even in the teens at night I would look for one with 12hr+ burn time.

Even a quality used stove can be better than a not to quality new stove.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.