Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Pots & Pans
<< . 1 . 2 .
darz5150
# Posted: 28 Jan 2024 12:52

Quoting: darz5150
If you cook up some bacon or sausage, that will help to season it too

If ya got some B or S I would try cooking some up first. If you have trouble with it wanting to burn, I would say it's too hot. Your burner looks like it throws off plenty of heat. If it starts to burn the meat or if it cooks too uneven. Then I would say put another spacer in there.
On our wood stove, I use different size nuts for spacers to control the heat. If I use small 1/4 or 5/16. It can keep it from boiling. If I use bigger ones like 3/4 or 1 inch, I can back the heat off to a very mild simmer.
Also have to say again, the more you use it, the better it will get.
If you want to try to reseason/add season. You can lightly wipe the whole pan with oil. Then put it in your bbq grill at around 275 or 300 degrees. And let it in there for anywhere from a half hour to a couple hours. It should come out slick and shiney. If it is sticky to the touch. Go for longer.
It doesn't look like the eggs are burnt. Did they wipe out pretty easy?

darz5150
# Posted: 28 Jan 2024 12:59

Heat control nuts. Lol
Medium and low heat
Medium and low heat

darz5150
# Posted: 28 Jan 2024 13:39 - Edited by: darz5150

Here's a Nordic Ware skillet that was completely rusted over that I brought back to life.
IMG_20240128_1223258.jpg
IMG_20240128_1223258.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 28 Jan 2024 20:37

We used the new skillet my wife picked up yesterday. Some people complain about Lodge brand. I've never had problems.
So here's the run down. New skillet. Rinsed off with water only, no extra seasoning.
Took 2 thick cut pork loin steaks. Dry seasoning. One with a Cajun style, one with Mrs.Dash garlic and herb.
Preheated the pan on med/low for a minute or 2. Tossed the steaks in the pan...no oil...nothing but heat and meat.
They cooked up fine. I am posting pics to show what might look like a sticky hot mess, is actually the pan doing its job as non stick. And then the clean up. About 2 shot glasses of water in the pan on medium heat. Then about 30 seconds of clean up with the scrub brush I posted yesterday. Then rinsed it, dried it on the stove, a quick wipe with oil on a paper towel. Ready to cook again!
IMG_20240128_1804117.jpg
IMG_20240128_1804117.jpg
IMG_20240128_1805172.jpg
IMG_20240128_1805172.jpg
Done deal
Done deal

paulz
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 14:17

The learning curve continues.. This morning I spaced the pan up about an inch. Let it warm up a few minutes, wet wipe with olive oil. Eggs sizzled a bit when they hit the pan, not terribly, and scrambled up pretty fast, about a minute. Tasted great but again left some stuck dead center in the pan. Came right off with a little plastic scrub, which is all I’ve touched it with so far. Edges of the pan are trouble free, just that center couple inches.

ICC
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 15:06 - Edited by: ICC

It could simply be that the center spot that sticks is hotter than the rest of the pan.

Cast iron retains heat well, making a cast iron pan excellent for searing something. The pan does not cool off as quickly as an aluminum pan.

However, cast iron does not transfer heat well. If the gas burner is smaller than the pan, the center of the pan can be much hotter than the perimeter areas. Aluminum transfers heat quickly across the pan area.

A pro chef will sometimes have iron pans preheated in an oven to ensure the pan is very evenly heated before they whip it out, place it on a burner, and cook. Or a longer, slower preheat could be beneficial.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 15:11

Ime I need to use a lower heat setting for cast iron than our other pans.

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 15:19 - Edited by: darz5150

Yep. It sounds like a hot spot. I had that problem with a back pack jet boil type stove. It was so hot in the center, that it could burn soup. Lol
I made a heat diffuser out of an old metal soup can lid. Then popped some holes to let some heat thru, but not all in the center. The pic is sorta the pattern on the one I made.
Also you can try the pan on another stove that's not infrared.
3/16 inch holes should work
3/16 inch holes should work

paulz
# Posted: 30 Jan 2024 11:53

This morning I spaced the pan up 4”. Pan oiled. Eggs cooked slow, tasted great but still some stuck after. No scrub yet, is this about what to expect?
IMG_2098.jpeg
IMG_2098.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2024 12:24

Yep
That center will get better the more you use it; keep on keepin on!

paulz
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 09:28 - Edited by: paulz

Yes it is. Still making minor adjustments every day but getting it figured out. Long as the eggs and my arteries hold out! 😀
IMG_2130.jpeg
IMG_2130.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 10:42 - Edited by: darz5150

Yer getting there.
Check out Cowboy Kent Rollins on you tube when you get a minute.
That guy is the cast iron king.
https://youtu.be/KhL9c3v4bG4?si=fHIEqprqtOrFfMwW

https://youtu.be/rRZMXZfcol8?si=uoJLxEVfuZUhi4kc

paulz
# Posted: 22 Apr 2024 09:34

Finally getting the hang of this CI pan. Burgers no problem, except for setting off the smoke alarm lol. For eggs the trick is to shut off the heat early and let just the pan heat do the finishing.
IMG_2532.jpeg
IMG_2532.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Apr 2024 09:49

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Apr 2024 08:34

I have taken to sanding all my cast Irons cooking surfaces smooth then seasoning. It really helps with not having to use as much oil/fat.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.