Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Confused about Solar Install - where to connect Lights?
Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 10:01

I'm looking to buy this 200W, 12V solar kit from Amazon... but I'm a little confused as to where I would connect my 12v LED strip lights?

The product vids show how to connect the solar array and the battery to the charge controller... but doesn't show where to connect anything else.

Can I connect my strip lights directly to the 12v battery?

I've also seen 12V LED light strips with a 110v plug. For this I'd assume I need an inverter. However, going from 12v to 110v, and then back to 12 v for the lights seems redundant.

Thanks for helping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCRG22A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER &th=1

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 10:45

The back and forth is inefficient....for most what they do is eliminate the 120vac wall-wart and wire the lights direct (a fuse is a good idea too) right to the battery.
Any 12dvc load can be driven right off the battery, if you have no need of 120vac an inverter (to 120vac) is not needed. If one is, only get a Pure Sine Wave Inverter and one Not Oversize for the load(s) you intend to run.

Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 11:05

Thank you. I wasn’t thinking that I would need 110. However, now that you mention it, I may look at getting an inverter so that I can run a compressor, or perhaps a drill or a saw occasionally.

travellerw
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 12:31 - Edited by: travellerw

Quoting: Goat Lives Matter
Thank you. I wasn’t thinking that I would need 110. However, now that you mention it, I may look at getting an inverter so that I can run a compressor, or perhaps a drill or a saw occasionally.

You need to do some research and understand power draws. Compressor and saws are not considered "light draw" and require a large inverter to run. They also use a TON of power and can draw down a small battery bank in a very short amount of time.

I would also suggest you save your money on that kit. There is nothing wrong with those solar panels, but the charge controller is very poor. You would be much better served buying the panels separate and then purchasing a quality controller like a Victron!

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 13:42

I ran my old corded tools on my generator (Champion 1700/2000peak watts, cost me $425), it was a no brainer for me not to draw down my bat-bank and that little gen was a game changer. Mostly whenever it ran I also had an automotive bat charger hooked to my battery.
The next game changer was a cordless tool set. I can recharge the bats for those tools off the bat/inverter or the gen and not being tethered with a corded tool is SO sweet!

ICC
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 13:53

Can I connect my strip lights directly to the 12v battery?

Fuses or DC circuit breakers should be used for any DC power circuits. Connect as close to the battery as possible in the positive line. Size the fuse/breaker to the maximum current the wire is rated for. Fuses/breakers are to protect the wire in case of a short circuit.

Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 14:44

Quoting: ICC
Victron

Thank you very much!

Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 14:46

That makes a lot of sense too. when I need to use the compressor... crank up a gas generator. When I need a drill... use a cordless drill where the batteries are charged by the solar. Really only use the solar for LED strip lights.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 16:36

Once you get comfortable with the concept put into use you will likely expand its capabilities.
A basic 'system' as you envision of just dc lights can also have a small inverter hooked up to run some 120vac stuff, just turn it on as needed.
For several years now we've been using a 300w psw unit successfully. Though I dont see it anymore on Amazon the next size would be fine, Bestek (sp?) 500w.

Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 19:03 - Edited by: Goat Lives Matter

So here are my thoughts to run lights in my pole barn.

1 Renogy 200W, 12V Monocrystalline PV panel. This should provide ~16Amps. $221

30 Amp Charge Controller. 12/24V, $15

2 12v 12ah Sealed lead acid batteries. This will provide 24 ah total. $45

6 LED light tubes installed in parallel, 12v, 20W, 2000 Lumins. 6 lights at 1.67W each = 10 Amps. $34.89

In this case, I should be able to run the lights for about 2 hours. I plan to put 3 lights on one switch and 3 light on another.... and will probably not have both on at the same time. Thus, I can likely get 4 hours of light.

Are my calculations and assumptions correct? Where did I go wrong?

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 19:39

How big is the pole barn?

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 23:33 - Edited by: gcrank1

Be aware that solar panels, even more expensive ones, may only output 60% of their overly generous advertised amount. The typical 'solar charging hours' in a good day (and not winter) is only 4 hours.
Also, with any 'lead acid' batteries you should only draw them down by a max of 50%, even better if you only use the top 30%. Use more on a regular basis and you Will Kill Them.
You are far better off to buy a larger ah battery than paralleling 2 or more together.

Nobadays
# Posted: 3 Feb 2024 09:25

2 12v 12ah Sealed lead acid batteries. This will provide 24 ah total. $45

6 LED light tubes installed in parallel, 12v, 20W, 2000 Lumins. 6 lights at 1.67W each = 10 Amps. $34.89

As gcrank1 has already said... you should only use 50% of you battery capacity. So with your chosen batteries you have 12ah usable. Your 10amp draw will use that in under an hour.

HERE is a 12v battery run time calculator.

Goat Lives Matter
# Posted: 4 Feb 2024 10:19

Thank you all. Pole barn is 25x36

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Feb 2024 13:15

Unless you just need enough light not to trip over things I dont think that's enough light for a building that size.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.