Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / LI tool battery recovery
paulz
# Posted: 7 Feb 2024 11:35 - Edited by: paulz

The battery that powers both my chainsaw and leaf bower, my two most used stuff lately, went dead. Weird, don’t know why, been reliable for a few years. Put it on the charger, nothing, charger won’t even light the charge light or start the fan. No lights on battery, always stops the tool when it gets down to two lights.

Put a VOM on it, zero volts. Hmm, maybe it finally bit it. In desperation (I have a ton of branches to hack) I jumpered two car bats in series to it (it’s an 80v bat) for a few minutes, then shoved it in the charger. Vroom, charge light and fan! An hour later I was at full charge! That was last night, still full charge and tools running today. Yahoo, so far. Still clueless as to what happened. Maybe left it in a tool running? Would have heard that. Never under 40f here.
IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Feb 2024 11:40

Some batteries can go into a sleep mode once charge gets too low and require a wake up charge to get them going. Glad you got them working again

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Feb 2024 16:26

I would take it appart and check the cells or for any type of fuse.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Feb 2024 16:32

Sounds like the BMS shut it down when the voltage dropped to the Low Voltage Cutoff.
Wonder how many folks just buy a new battery and junk the old one......

# Posted: 7 Feb 2024 20:45 - Edited by: 909

As cells age, they "get tired", slowly self discharge, and just won't hold as much charge.

Congrats on the jump start.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Feb 2024 10:24 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys. So yesterday I cut firewood, ran the bat down to when the saw stopped running, still 2 lights, charged back up and repeat. Seems to run and last as well as before. This morning it still has the two lights. I will monitor before charging again, no time to cut today. Maybe it is wearing down, had a lot of use. Not like buying new ones at the dollar store.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Feb 2024 11:21

That's the way I do it with cordless tools. Eventually they don't run more than a few min. or don't have enough beans to do their job, then its pay if ya wanna play.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 17:16 - Edited by: paulz

Well I got a few days chainsaw work, but finally bit the big one and bought a new battery. The old one, oddly, still shows 3 lights, measure close to 80v with a VOm, but will run the saw for about3 seconds and shuts off. Plug it in the charger and the red (fault) light goes on with a click, no charging.

So I did what any red blooded American man would do: took it apart. Surprised to see 18650s. I don’t see a ‘flip this switch’ sign anywhere and it looks kinda complicate. Oh well, it did me good for lots of work.
IMG_2192.jpeg
IMG_2192.jpeg

FishHog
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 18:26

like Lead batteries, they can charge up to voltage, but fail load test very quickly. Likely one bad cell in that battery, usually the rest are fine.

# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 20:07

I agree. Usually just 1 bad cell. Manufacturers make it so hard to tear the pack apart, you basically have to destroy it to get access.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Feb 2024 10:40

Well the thought of just replacing one cell got me excited, would make a great spare battery, but you’re right, they are covered in special screw heads, glue, solder.. no plug and play access there.

# Posted: 15 Feb 2024 10:49

Yes. Just so they can overcharge us hundreds of dollars for cells that cost tens.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 18:26 - Edited by: paulz

On another note, I recently bought two new batteries for my old B&D saws. $25 a pair, brand new, delivered! They aren’t Li though, rather MIMH old tech. Much shorter on grunt but doing the job for me. I’m shorter on grunt myself these days anyway.
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 20:11

I recently bought one of those little 6 inch chainsaws, that I figured would be slightly better than useless. But it turns out, its really very handy. I used it for about an hour the other day clearing some face slapping branches off the trails and some other misc. crap laying around. Worked better than a recip saw. I cut a landscape timber in about 20/30 seconds no prob.
IMG_20240218_1858512.jpg
IMG_20240218_1858512.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Feb 2024 23:31

I was looking at those with that style handle thinking it would work better for me than some of the other designs.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2024 07:53

Yeah that's a nice unit, especially for branches as mentioned.

darz5150
# Posted: 19 Apr 2024 19:17

I put the mini saw to the test. Had a pretty big top get knocked off in the storm last nite. About 8 inches thick at the bottom and probably 20+ feet long. The mini chopper worked well, and didn't run thru one battery. Still full speed at the end.
Before
Before
After pile
After pile

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2024 20:34

Yer making me wanna hit the BIN......

old greybeard
# Posted: 27 Apr 2024 14:06

Have had Dewalt lithium batteries fail to charge. I applied 12v to the positive and negative terminals for a few minutes with a low power 12v supply, it boosted the internal voltage enough that the battery would charge normally when put on the correct charger. Imagine its a sign they are getting old.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Apr 2024 09:45

Was just given this Delta drill kit. Missing charger and they are dead Nicads. Looked around a bit, you can find Li battery adapters but at this point it seems the batteries and charger are the bulk of the value in these small tools. Probably just pitch it.
IMG_2548.jpeg
IMG_2548.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.