Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Outhouse restrictions
smitty
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:26

Does anybody have any information on building an outhouse in New York?
Thinking we might want to build an outhouse, unless it is so restricted it becomes cost prohibitive. In that case, we'll just buy a Sunmar..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:45 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

build a tool small storage shed---that happens to have a outhouse in it :-)...& don't forget to have a couple bags of lime in you tool shed.

dabones
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 21:59

I own land in NY too, I tried to search for info regarding them and found lots of people on various forums saying they are illegal and only composting toilets are allowed. my Neighbour called our Town and they said that a Compost Toilet is allowed, but they couldn't verify whether a hole in the ground outhouse was legal or illegal..

I have a hold in the ground, with a wooden 'toilet' sittig on top, and a tent around it.

chris
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 06:18

I have an outhouse in upstate NY. It looks like a shed, but you can't see it from the road. No one asks any questions. Much better than a composting toilet.

groingo
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 10:44

I guess it all depends if your are in the forest or in a populated area and whether you are putting it in a holding tank to be emptied or just digging a hole in the ground.
Maybe the best thing is to do the best you can till someone complains.

sparky1
# Posted: 27 Mar 2012 10:47

They are (Illegal ) in Virginia---I got cought.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.