Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / iPhone Satellite
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 08:05

Hi all. I hope this isn't classified as spam. I just learned that iPhone 14 and 15 have satellite capability. I know some of you more remote folks might appreciate that feature. Has anyone here used it? Any feedback. I take some remote back country canoe/backpacking trips that this might come in handy for.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/105097

"With iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro, you can connect your iPhone to a satellite to text emergency services, request roadside assistance, and share your location with friends and family — all while you're off the grid with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage."

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 10:08

Have seen it on there but I haven't used it. I believe sharing your location is through the "find my phone" app, and in order to share you would have had to add the person to the app previously. Not really sure how that works.... I wouldn't hesitate to try to use the emergency services function if ever needed.

I have read that they are shooting for full satellite function but that is a ways off at this point.

# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 11:01 - Edited by: 909

My S22 had 3 bars before adding the metal roof. And only 2 bars after it went up. Her S24 gets about the same. I'm told our nearby cell tower was installed recently. Really greatful for that.

Apparently both can send text messages via satellite when you're out of range ( 5G NTN technology) . But I wouldn't be able tell the difference .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.