Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Lighting
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 10:14 - Edited by: 909

I like the idea of making the cabin look alive at night when you're not there.

These are 16 LED up and down solar sconces / wall lights . They're self contained with a built in solar panel + battery, and fully automatic. They cost $10 a piece.

These landscape lights were on clearance , end of the season sale . They cost $1 a piece. They managed to survive and work through our harsh winters.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 13:18

Looks great 909!

Couple reasons I don’t do it.

1. I have enough trouble keeping the lights on when I’m there!

2. Nobody around to see them. Wife don't care, nor the dog.

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 19:20

Looks inviting
What's on the barbie?

rachelsdad
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 21:30

Any info on the wall sconces?

I'd order some.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 21:55

Quoting: gcrank1
What's on the barbie?

Pulled pork here tonight at the cabin. Shame about those giant pigs, anybody eating those things?

Buddy enjoyed the leftovers.
IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 22:47

A friend has gone wild boar hunting with a spear and hunting sword in some other countries as well as here in the US.
Yeah, he is gutsy.
The pit roasted boar I got to eat was GREAT!

frankpaige
# Posted: 5 Mar 2024 23:23

Differing views in our area about night lights. Some lights are unobtrusive. Other? Well they provide the landing lights for a 747.
Have had some that “disable” the brighter lights on some homes. For whatever reason? It seems the brighter lights come from the rental homes in the area.
I do like the ability to see the deck at night as I roll over in the loft. Like I would hear it before the dog! HA!

jsahara24
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 08:13

Those lights look very nice......and I leave a single sconce light on when I am not at my cabin....

But....I also have a real issue with light pollution....Wish people would limit what lights they leave on...

Nobadays
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 09:34 - Edited by: Nobadays

Quoting: jsahara24
But....I also have a real issue with light pollution..

With you there, though I do like those sconces!

Here at our city home we have solar lights in both the front and back gardens/sidewalks. At the cabin, there are only motion detecting solar lights. We prefer to keep the dark, dark. If there is something/someone moving around there then the lights are useful.

One of our cabin neighbors likes light. He has solar light strings on his decks and bright solar path lighting all around the cabin. Fortunately we can only see one or two of his lights shining through the trees.

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 16:11

Quoting: jsahara24
But....I also have a real issue with light pollution....Wish people would limit what lights they leave on...

Agreed, its a pet peeve of mine. I get people want some security when they aren't there, but boy some people are clearly afraid of the dark. I personally love it.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 18:15

As striking as the stone house appears with the perimeter illumination I prefer no lights or motion-activated lights both at home and at the cabin. Both places do have roads leading to them so anyone curious and wandering around the woods may find them The locked gates also indicate that something is down the road. However, with no exterior lights on the home and the cabin disappear into the darkness. Lights bring attention to them. So, my preference is for lights that only come on when motion activates them. That could be people, animals, sometimes the wind.

Just another case of different strokes....

Many of my motion detector lights can also be turned on and left on with switches in the home or cabin as well as via an app on my phone, when wi-fi is turned on.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 09:52

Speaking of lights, would a night light at the cabin keep wildlife ( raccoons etc.) away when I’m here?

To explain, the dang dog, who sleeps inside, the puss, often wakes up, barks and wants to go outside in the middle of the night. I don’t see nor hear anything outside, but my camera catches them occasionally when I’m not here. I guess he knows, but never actually catches or fights. He does sniff around under the cabin like something was there.

Tired of this, I need my sleep!

ICC
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 14:06

Quoting: paulz
Speaking of lights, would a night light at the cabin keep wildlife ( raccoons etc.) away when I’m here?

Raccoons are nocturnal animals, so lights may make them stay away. However, they likely get used to constant light sources. You should therefore opt for motion-activated lights because the lights coming on and going off will be more likely to scare raccoons away.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 14:29

Thanks Izzy, interesting. That’s what this is right? This camera is a few hundred feet away by my gate but he probably wanders around.

I do have one motion light above the door and it did come on last night, couple hours before the dog barked though. I looked briefly out there and didn’t see anything, perhaps he scattered immediately. Maybe I’ll try one under the cabin, and try turning on the cabin motion camera down low.

I usually cook dinner outside, but clean up all meat. Veggies I sometimes leave out.
IMG_2287.jpeg
IMG_2287.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 14:37

I think that motion-activated lights down low around or in the spaces the raccoons like might be helpful.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Mar 2024 08:30

Quoting: ICC
I think that motion-activated lights down low around or in the spaces the raccoons like might be helpful

Maybe so. I put one under the cabin last night. Dog was quiet all night. Cabin cam caught nothing but gate cam caught this guy again. That’s twice in a week, must be what’s going on.
IMG_2290.jpeg
IMG_2290.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.