Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Maximum Battery Charge Voltage
kittysmitty
# Posted: 17 Mar 2024 09:46

I have 4 Rolls Surette S-550's that I trying to bring back to a better life. They have been undercharged for a while, capacity is down. I'm asking what's the danger of charging with a higher voltage. Specs call for 15.75 @ 0 C/32 F . I'm somewhat colder and charge voltage around 16 volts. My understanding is to watch the temperature and the water levels. What else should I be concerned with?

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Mar 2024 10:52 - Edited by: Nobadays

If memory serves Rolls recommends 15.3-15.9 for warm batteries. Not sure 16v is a good idea.

That said, charge your batteries up, until absorption is done and the charge rate falls.... this is when you should crank it up to begin equalization. My guess is the batteries will have warmed up from receiving a charge. Best to monitor with a hydrometer if you can while equalizing. Check them say every half hour, when you don't see the SG rising anymore stop. Yes, monitor the temperature as well, they can get pretty warm!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.