Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lead acid battery rejuvination
paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 19:07

Tried to fire up a mostly unused truck today, dead battery, well almost but not enough oomph to start it without a jump. Got me wondering about rejuvination, never really done it aside from topping off and recharge. So I looked online, everything from aspirin to baking soda swear bys. Thought I’d ask you guys, anybody had any luck with LA battery rejuvination?

My cabin shop solar is on old car batteries good enough for lights etc. but a couple of car starters would be welcome.

darz5150
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 19:22

I bought a cheap charger off Amazon that had a pulse/equalizer function. It did seem to bring back some life on a couple lawn mower batteries and a very old deep cycle batt that I was using in a camper.
It didn't help on a couple others. Can't save them all I guess.
I remember my dad doing the aspirin and or Epsom salt (I think) trick. But iirc it was short term fix.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 19:30

In a desperate situation it might be worth a go, but the short term effect isn't going to gain you much.
That battery, if not kept charged, sat and sulfated. LA batteries Like to be kept Fully Charged. Each time they get depleted and sit it takes some life away. The only reason they last at all for so long on our daily drivers is that they take a big hit starting then get charged right back up with it running.
Check out (iirc) 'battery university' online for more than you knew to ask.

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 21:03

agreed, short term fix at best. If you need it to start next week, you need a new battery. There is no magic sauce that will make them work well again.

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 21:12 - Edited by: travellerw

Epson salts work in a pinch.. but there is a chemical you can buy that works better (I can't remember the name though). I have rejuvenated probably 15 batteries with that chemical, high charge voltage and cycles. The battery must be failed in the right way though. Sulfated plates and not a shorted cell (you can tell by charging the battery, letting it sit for 12 hours and then feeling it. Any hot spots means its a shorted cell).

HOWEVER... It will always be a temporary solution. Maximum I have ever seen is about 5-6 months before failure again. 3(ish) weeks is the lowest. Essentially the plates have sulphated and thinned to where the battery is barely viable. Its really only a solution while you plan the replacement (or save up for it).

I have never done it in an automotive battery though. Maybe it will last longer and you might get another year. Is it worth it.. Maybe.. Maybe not. FLA automotive batts are pretty cheap in USA/Canada and I probably wouldn't bother. Just pop down to Costco and buy another one!

(Update - Pretty sure it was EDTA I used)

ICC
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 21:35

I have never tried to rejuvenate a lead-acid battery.

When I was 15 my grandad gave me a ModelA truck with a cracked block and some other deficiencies. We swapped the 4 banger for a flathead V8 from a wrecked '39. I did not buy a new battery even though he told me several times that the battery was junk. One night on a date at the drive-in theater it would not start. Luckily I was able to recruit a couple of others to help bump-start it. I bought a new battery soon after.

The inconvenience must have stuck with me and for many decades I have been replacing batteries as they hit five years of age, or the moment that hint at trouble. Which reminds me, I think my Tacoma is due for a five-year change. Gotta check that.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2024 22:57

Thanks guys. Great to have knowledge and experience from those I trust. I’m not interested in immediate results, or even temporary ones. I already have several good spare batteries I can juggle between the dump truck, tractors, log splitter etc.. Also a half dozen ‘maybe’ batteries on the work bench, not quite ready for core charge pile yet. Maybe I’ll try the Epsom or EDTA trick just for the heck of it.

Also have a couple of those pocket size Li jumpers, they work tremendously well. Carry one in the daily, another sits in the cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.