Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 55 gal barrel reservoir in stream
crowsnest2002
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 09:01

Hello everyone, hoping to collect on some knowledge. My cabin is a dry cabin, but it is 10' from a stream. During dryest peak of summer it gets down to trickle on the surface of the stream. Water is still flowing under gravel basin. I cant dig sand point a well, I know I'm going to hit rocks. I was thinking of burying a 55 gal drum in stream bed a couple of feet down and use it as a sump well for the cabin. Anyone have picture, ideas, etc. I need to drill holes in outside of drum (how large and how many?), probably fill with large rocks (to keep it from collapsing?), what filter material should I put around it to slow sediment (landscape fabric?)?

Thanks for any coaching on this matter.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 10:20

I did something like this but in a low clay lined area behind my garden for a garden well. I wouldnt fill it with rocks, you would lower the volume of available water if you did.

I have 3 55gal drums wrapped with drainage fabric and the fabric is filled with what ever stone I had laying around. I dug down as deep as my excavator could dig, about 6'. I put a vertical 4in piece of pvc up to the surface for my foot valve to be put down through. I remove it in the late fall. This system has been in use for about 3yrs.

As to how many holes I dont think you can have to many. 1/2in hole should be big enough. Drill the holes some where you can clean up the shavings. You wouldnt believe how many shaving come off drilling 40+ 1/2in holes.

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 10:41

What do you mean you filled the fabric with stone? Like next to the container between container and fabric?

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 16:37

I basicly made a big sock, put the barrels in that and the stone around the barrels...still in the sock.

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 19:25

Thanks for that,and it makes sense. Also thanks for the heads up on the fabric btw. I didn't know the difference until you brought it up.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 19:46

No problem.

If the stream is low in the summer have you thought about just filling a Ibc tote when its flowing good?

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 15 Apr 2024 22:07

I'm thinking the 55 gal drum burried in the stream bed as low as I can go will get me sustainable water. It's a weekend cabin so heavy use isn't in the forecast. I thought about transporting from my home, but really thought about it, and stream water will suffice for washing dishes and a quick "navy" shower. I can jug the drinking water. I guess if it gets too crazy I can get an ibc and put my siphon hose in it

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.