Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Sanitize Water Tank
paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 17:15

I’m seeing 1-2 fluid ounces of bleach for 500 gallons. Sound good?

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 17:49

For the rain barrels Ive got, 55-60gal, Ive used an ounce for a fill. Initially before use it was fill, bleach 1/2 way through, stir well and sit for 24 hours.
Drain and refill
Then the 1st of each month I add a good 'shot' and stir. The barrels stay clean, can see all the way to the bottom, and at fall dump no crud.
We don't drink it, no need since we have an artesian well en-route, but if we need to I think we'd be ok to boil and once through the Britta.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 18:22

Yeah I’ve always used about half a cup for 500 but what I’m reading now that’s too much. Comes out of the well. I make kool aide with it, dog drinks it, tooth brushed..but it’s boiled for coffee or cooking.

Nobadays
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 22:06 - Edited by: Nobadays

Hope this helps... I always shoot for ~3ppm
disinfect_drinking_w.jpg
disinfect_drinking_w.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Apr 2024 07:34 - Edited by: Brettny

The FDA lists the ratio on there website I believe. This is for drinking it. I'm sure theres more to taking midday water and putting bleach in it.

With our black coated IBC totes and filling from a spring I see no growth and dont use bleach. We run cooking and drinking water through a ceramic Dulton filter. We shower and wash hands with raw water.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Apr 2024 10:07

Quoting: Nobadays
~3ppm

That’s more in line with what I’ve been using. I guess the figure I saw was for 1ppm.

Not sure exactly what I’m trying to prevent out of my ground water well. My tank has a two foot top opening, never seen anything actually floating on top.

Also is says unscented bleach, my bottle says fresh scent.

Nobadays
# Posted: 21 Apr 2024 15:04

Quoting: paulz
says unscented bleach, my bottle says fresh scent.

My neighbor mistakenly bought "lemon fresh" it worked and he said it really wasn't lemon fresh!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.