Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Firewood cutting jig
paulz
# Posted: 27 Apr 2024 19:31

A friend I gave logs to made me this jig for cutting firewood (shameless photo of my cabin front included). Works great, toss a 6 footer on there, lop into 16” pieces. Got anything similar?
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Apr 2024 20:22

Yep. Looks like yours is holding up pretty well.

ICC
# Posted: 27 Apr 2024 20:38

Nothing so fancy.... at the cabin the stove has a max length of 16". I have a chain saw there with a 16" bar; effective length of 15-1/4". So, I use the bar as an eyeball guide and lop off the end.

At home the stove likes a max of 24" so I use a saw with a 24" bar as an eyeball gauge.

That way I don't have to move the long logs around, but I do have a bunch of short lengths to toss in the truck, trailer, or loader bucket. Lots of different movements and I think it helps keep me limber. No need to be the most efficient in cutting with minimum effort as pretty much nothing is in a hurry unless I make it so. I try hard not to make unnecessary rushes anymore. Don't always succeed.

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Apr 2024 08:32

Quoting: ICC
Nothing so fancy.... at the cabin the stove has a max length of 16". I have a chain saw there with a 16" bar; effective length of 15-1/4". So, I use the bar as an eyeball guide and lop off the end.

i do the same with my 18" bar. After a few eyeballing it is pretty damn accurate

paulz
# Posted: 28 Apr 2024 09:37

Quoting: darz5150
Yep. Looks like yours is holding up pretty well.

Thanks, could be a bit stronger. The 1x braces gets clobbered by the saw after it gets through the log, other side one in the photo is broken. Need to replace with 2x. And there’s no cross bracing the other way, depends on the V center screws. Ok I guess for folding, moving and toting.

It’s actually more handy than determining log length. It keeps you standing upright while cutting and the V keeps the log from spinning.

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Apr 2024 18:25

Yanmar firewood cutting attachment.
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.