Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water barrel trailer project
Crake
# Posted: 4 May 2024 16:27 - Edited by: Crake

The following is a small project I cobbled up out of some spare junk in my shop. I salvaged an old Polaris lawn & garden trailer a couple years ago (similar trailer type photo attached - I don't have a picture of the original) and found it totally impractical for pulling behind my quad. The tires were way too close together and the tub was mounted above the wheels, giving the trailer a high center of gravity and therefore quite tippy.

I lopped off the tub and stripped everything down to the frame. I used a chunk of 2x2 square tubing and lengthened the axle stubs to match my 350 Big Bear.
Original trailer
Original trailer
Lengthened axles
Lengthened axles
Basic frame
Basic frame

Crake
# Posted: 4 May 2024 16:30

With a good buddy's technical assistance, I transferred my hand-drawn, hand-cut cardboard templates into the digital world. A sheet of rolled steel from Princess Auto was more than enough for the barrel hoops. We cut out the hoops with a CNC plasma cutter and welded them to the frame.
Hoops
Hoops
Welding
Welding
1st mockup
1st mockup

Crake
# Posted: 4 May 2024 16:35

The design is relatively simple - 4x hoop templates with a 1" strip welded between and socketed on the center frame of the trailer. There is about a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the barrel hoop and the trailer frame that you can thread a ratchet strap through. The hoop ribs (besides cradling the barrel) serve to protect the ratchet straps from underbrush tearing them off.

I used a jigsaw to cut a semi-circular hatch in the top of the barrel, and re-attached it with door hinges and a simple latch to keep it closed. This should keep my camping gear clean and dry through whatever muck I pull it through... and the barrel should have sufficient floatation for the really wet spots...
Trailer frame
Trailer frame
Strapped barrel
Strapped barrel
Back hatch
Back hatch
Open hatch
Open hatch

Crake
# Posted: 4 May 2024 16:41

I'm planning on using a second barrel to haul water from the lake to my cabin. I plan to weld a small platform on the front of the trailer hitch to hold a 12-volt water pump I can run off my quad's battery. The trailer hitch can be used to lever the barrel upright when its full.

This whole project was relatively cheap. $60.00 for the steel, $25.00 barrel, free barrel, and free technical expertise from my buddy. I hope the hoops are sufficient strength to support a full 55-gallon barrel of water. Might add a third hoop down the road. For now I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

"Crake"

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 May 2024 17:55

Nice job!
8.34# per gal x 50 is 417# + the trailer and tub weight, can your quad do it?

paulz
# Posted: 5 May 2024 13:09

Yes nice! Looks like you have smooth flat ground too. By the time I got to my cabin it would be time for a refill!

Crake
# Posted: 5 May 2024 14:05

The area I'm in is pretty flat. Decent gravel roads from the lakeshore to my property. Shouldn't be too hard of a pull. I guess we'll see!

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 May 2024 20:26

Don't get to sloshing'!

Curly
# Posted: 6 May 2024 02:06

I like your idea! I suppose you could rig up several trailers together to make a cargo train like I have seen done for a kiddie ride.
barrel_train.jpg
barrel_train.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.