Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Pounding a well point
smitty
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 08:20

I'm thinking about putting in our well point this weekend..
Can anyone school me, on the whole thing?
I know what basic supplies I need, and I know to take the sledge hammer with me.. But I still need some more education on it..
Tell me your stories about when you put yours in..

Just
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 11:18

First of all you must have sand or gravel soil type . ask around see if any neighbour has one .then you need to decide on what point to buy they are usualy 1 1\4 in. thread they come in three lingths 1,2 or 3 foot . then you need to know what size screen to get fine ,medium or course all this only a local pearson can tell you . if there is no one to ask go with a 2 ft . med. screenand pray.. then you need to know how deep the water is could be 20 ft .but mor likly 10 ft willdo !again ask a local !! then comes the pipe 1 1|4 I always buy 4 ft lengths but if you can find a way to get up high enough it comes in 22 ft. lengths !!
instalation
dig the deepest hole you can dig with a post hole auger to start !!
install the point on your first lingth of pipe then you will need a sacraficial 1 ft. pipe with threads on each end and a 1 1|4 cap on one end . install that next always use tape or thread dop on each thread !! now for the pounding do not use a hammer [ next to imposiable ] get a post pounder you will need to have one that will fit over that 1 1|4 cap most rentall places have them . keep pounding till the water in the pipe is at least 1 ft above the sand point but do not go any deeper than you must because sometimes there is clay under the sand and you could plug the screen on the point. when you think you have it remove the 1 ft pipe and install your pump, if it later goes dry you can always go deeper but it is very hard to pull it back up if you go too deep !! good luck.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.