Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / first step (septic, etc.)
. 1 . 2 . >>
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 13 Jul 2011 16:02

Today, I dropped my first $500.00 for septic. They will be out in the next few days to eval the property. Cross your fingers that all goes well.

hattie
# Posted: 13 Jul 2011 16:15

Good luck Erins#1Mom....Keep us posted how things go.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jul 2011 16:56

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
Today, I dropped my first $500.00 for septic. They will be out in the next few days to eval the property. Cross your fingers that all goes well.

congrats on your start, what type system are they going to install. sounds like a great price.

ok---now it's your turn for property / progress pic's.......:-)

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 13 Jul 2011 17:32

that is just for the county to approve..... once approved, i hope to get a family friend to do the actual septic dig. plus, i have a couple of friends (70+) who so want me to get started with the build. one has drawn up the plans and wants to do the rough in work.

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Jul 2011 17:36

Wonderful !!! Youre on your way !! Sounds like you have alot of help too. So happy !!!!

Montanan
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 10:01

Hope the county approves it! I'm impressed you're digging the septic yourself. Ours went in last week, but we hired a guy with a backhoe.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 17:33

Erin, 160 feet of drainfield for a 3 bedroom house, drain pipe to drop 1/4" per foot, not more or less. They want flow at a cetrain rate to utilize all the drain field, not too fast, it will use only a small section of it.

smitty
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 18:02

$500 bucks just to say yes or no?..
Wow..

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 18:32

Yes, $500.00 to say yes or no. They said yes but I will have to move the cabin several feet as they hit good old tennessee slate about a foot down. Another $50.00 for a building permit. But first, putting up fencing. Who knew that fence posts could cost so much. My mom is donating the three gates (dad had bought before he died for this very piece of property). I've spent app. $1,000.00 this week and don't really feel I have anything to show for it.
I laughingly told my husband this afternoon that I'm going to start donating a unit of plasma a week at the area plasma center ($80.00 a pop). The more I think about it, it better I like the idea. $320.00 a month. Cabin will be bought and built in no time.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 20:37 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I've spent app. $1,000.00 this week and don't really feel I have anything to show for it.

and welcome to the world of govt/county regulations. :-)

sorry all that is costing ya so much, 1000 bucks would buy a lot of lumber /windows/roofing etc.

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 00:25

Yikes about the $500 permit. Ours was only $200. At least they approved it, right?!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 08:11

I'm just a few steps in front of you, Erins#1Mom. I passed the perc test after the 2nd try, got a design and now have a permit to install septic. Before I invest the big money and have the septic system installed however, I want to get the well drilled to make sure I have water to put in it! I'm meeting with the well company this Saturday morning about that. Good luck with your testing!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 14:05

PA bound, wells are pricey. I had one drilled on my cabin property, for a 178 foot steel lined hole in the ground, it was right at $8000!

I havent trimmed it out, ie pump, foot valve, wiring, stand off, torque arrestor etc. Its about another $2200 for that.

Oh, if they dont hit water, you still pay. So pick a good spot from the start. :D

Keep in mind, nothing closer than 100 feet from the well, so dont put it near your cabin site any closer. Put it close to a bounday, than you dotn consume so much of your property, and even restrict your neighbors use of the land.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 21 Jul 2011 16:45

PA Bound,
I just found out there is a well (covered) in a corner of the property. Need to get a metal detector to find, uncover and go from there. So much do to and nothing is cheap. There is city water at the highway but just to put in a meter is $1,500.00 and then running the line.... I don't even want to think of the cost.

iwhitewater
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 22:45

Is there any way you can use your roof and guttering to hold water in a cistern? I was lucky to have rural water at the land I purchased. I found that the cost of drilling a well was equal to the price of my land and then there is no guarantee of anything. I am incorporating a system like that even though I have rural water. Cuts down on the cost. Or I might use it for a vegatable garden.

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 00:44

We have used a septic system successfully for the past 30 years and have never pumped it clean. I have installed a riser pipe with access cap where pipe carrying hot liquid and fat from sink enters the cold water of the tank and around every 12 months the fat has to be broken by plunging a stick vertically. This will unblock the entry into the tank. I know many people who regularly clean their tanks around 2 yearly intervals. We also have most on our garden planted on the down hill side of the soaket drain which works very well.

larryh
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 12:05

Your lucky if your in an area that still allows septic fields. We had them here till they decided the soil was too clay to absorb well and outlawed all but the electric units, which run 12 hour of every day. Not my idea of energy independence. I went to a sawdust potty set up and am composting things. I do also have an older pit privy plus the pail privy, both in outhouse type buildings. I am leaning more to the pail privy and compost system as it cost almost nothing to run and little but effort to maintain. Plus one day I will have some decent compost for flowers or the field or yard, depending. If I knew for sure it had heated well I would not be opposed to using it for the food garden as well as many have done. But so far a little squeamish about that still.

My old farm home is not worth the additional cost of a new septic system and the old one gave out several years ago. I get by fine without it so far. However some areas are as picky with the composting prospect as they are with a septic system. So far my area doesn't seem to be opposed, but then I don't go out of my way to point it out either.

Larry

PA_Bound
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 17:12 - Edited by: PA_Bound

@Erins#1Mom- How did the evaluation go?

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 18:08

Septic approved. Brother (a plumber) has friend who does septic but must get prices. Have spend a large portion of cabin savings building fencing and putting in gates X3 to the meadow. Recently had unexpected and unwanted visitors (? drug deal gone bad). Husband says I must get gun and take my dog when I'm there. I'm OK with that.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 18:21

get gun and take my dog when I'm there. I'm OK with that.

i pack 24 /7 if i leave the house, just a good thing to do these days.
get a gun.........and use it if you need to!!!!!

was the unwanted vistors at the place you are building the cabin????

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 18:34

Yes. My brother and brother-in-law were pulling up rotted posts when these three cars just pulled right in! Low lifes from the community who have been in trouble their entire lives. Brother told them they had to go and they apologized and left. But my brother has gotten my gates up with locks and I don't expect more visitors. That being said, I plan on asking county sheriff to check more frequently.

steveqvs
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 10:53

Yes guns are an unfortunate neccessity. You never know in this day and age with meth and some of the other drugs how people will act.

Great on getting your septic started! That first flush will be such a pleasure!!!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 20:18

My brother and I went out today to take a water sample from the well he found on the property only to find a couple of low lifes in the road. "car overheated, won't be long". I'm sure they were waiting for their drug dealer. They couldn't get into my pasture as my brother had strung new barbed wire fencing and placed a gate with lock. After spending $550.00 for septic, I find myself rethinking the location of the cabin. There is a small ridge that I could place the cabin rather that the pasture where all the drug deals go down (still gated thanks to brother). I'm contacting county law enforcement tomorrow.
With all the low lifes, job stesses and stesses from drug addict thief daughter, I'm about ready to throw my hands up and say: OK Lord, enough is enough, I give up.....
But, I'm pissed! When will it be my turn? My whole life, I have given and done for others, When will it be my turn?

Cabin Admin,
Please forgive the carryingons of a southern hillbilly female.

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 22:00

Don't give up! Just keep on going, you can defeat anything, just take it one step at a time.....

hattie
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 23:09

Recently had unexpected and unwanted visitors (? drug deal gone bad).

So sorry to hear about your "visitors". *sigh* I hope the police can do better enforcement there. hmmm...Anybody have an old police car they wanna give away? You could just park an empty black and white at the spot and I'd bet the "visitors" would never come back. *S*

Keep us posted how you are making out!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 21:57

I agree with Borrego........

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 01:48

I had a friend that bought a cabin in the country. A dream she and her husband had for a long time. They had one problem after another with druggies in and around their property. They called the sheriff every time. So long story short now the druggies hate her and her family. The dog gets poisoned and somebody broke into their house and tried to burn it down. Thank God nobody was home. They sold the house because they were afraid for their childrens safety. She said if not for the kids they would have stayed and fought the low lifes.

People on drugs do crazy things. They have no regard for anyone. They will steal everything out of your cabin and make your life he**. If you think you can safely stand up to people on drugs without putting your family's life in danger you are wrong.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 15:55

Thanks for all the responses. It does make me wonder if it's worth it. Then I just get pissed! THIS IS MY DREAM.... FOR YEARS! I called county about testing my water sample for well we found, $115.00 and they want to collect their own sample. A person in the office gave me several other options. I'm sure she would be in trouble if her superiors knew.... I found out this morning from "my boys" (a group of retirees who have taken me under their wings) a friend may be able to do at him work site for free. My question:
IS THERE WATER TESTS OUT THERE THAT ONE CAN PURCHASE ON OWN?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 19:24 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

IS THERE WATER TESTS OUT THERE THAT ONE CAN PURCHASE ON OWN?

sure..........look on the web and order a home kit.

what ever you do before you do a sample, pour a couple gallons of clorox in the well., let it sit 24 hours, and THEN pump the well dry if you can, when the water recovers, THEN get your sample, i have friends in the well business and this is done daily. If you took a sample now it would fail, because there is dead lizard, or a frog or a field rat that has fell in there,. A friend of called me last week, his daughter's well on a house she was buying a county inspector water test failed. ( the house had been sitting vacant for almost 2 years) he did the clorox deal and pumped it off, and it passed inspection.

How deep is the well, bored??hand dug?? or drilled..............just rent/borrow a generator and a pump it out. I tried this at my old cabin site, sept my birthday, running a elect line on top of the ground, pipe bought a used pump and pumped the 30 foot of water out of the hand dug well, and it did not recover, it was only rain water in the well. It was a dry hole after i pumped it out. This was 22 years ago.

Just
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 22:28

turk is rite on do just what he said , i do not think the home water test is good for bacteria.I think it has to go to a lab so they can do a culture , thats free here in Canada public health dose it. ask a lap teck at work ,MOM
just

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.