Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Potty challenge
bugs
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 18:42

Thought this was an interesting article/concept of a much discussed subject on the forum

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/07/20/technology-toilet-gates-cheng.html

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2011 20:40

a crappy challenge for sure..............
hope they find something that will work.....

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 18:12

More power to them! Waste handling is big concern, especially in more densely populated areas. Composting is a great alternative when you have a lot of space and time, but few people or only periodic use... but it isn't always feasible for dense areas with daily use, especially without relying heavily on electricity (fans, heaters, mixers, etc).

Sounds like they're designing an incinerating unit... having used those in the tundra, I can say that they work beautifully; but I don't know if they're the most emission-friendly appliance. From an immediate health standpoint, a quick and waterless solution is certainly a good option... but it would be interesting to see the cost/pollution/pathogen figures between onsite incineration and transporting the waste to some sort of processing facility (a large composting center or something).

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 21:37

bought this brand new POTTY friday at estate sale, for the large sum of 2 bucks, thought i could use it at camp till i finish the septic, and take it camping as well.

larryh
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 11:59

So far I am using my "sawdust Potty" type unit either in the house in winter or now in my "second" pail privy out side. I have had to go from the dried wood pet bedding which didn't stop the small bugs from accessing and causing issues, to peat moss which is dense enough to pretty much discourage them. I also sprinkle some wood ashes on it to aid in that.

From the first year of building a compost pile, I would say that if done properly there is no reason that a suburban type dwelling couldn't use that system as long as they have access to some grass and weeds and old plants plus a few bales of hay or straw. I am surprised that it produces no odor which is a plus. So far the outhouse has had much more limited use as the little critters were really bad in that even with lot of lime tossed in. The pail privy is odor free and pretty much bug free as well.

I wouldn't say that I use the pail method constantly but during this season where the bugs are a problem and in poor weather conditions the pail privy is surly a good thing to have around. I use it more and more as I grow used to the method of cycling it.

Larry

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.