Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Treatment for rain water
<< . 1 . 2 .
TheWildMan
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:05

I'm about 10 miles south of the 45th parrallel (canadian boarder). so its usually cold and rain water only swamps up in the hottest part of summer.

my system is a simple gutter that dumps into a 55 gallon drum. i put an old window screen over the top so that it pre filters any larger pieces of debris/leaves. usually the water remains clear but if it starts to algae up i use it up rinse out the barrel and wait for another rain or i splash some bleach into it to shock treat algae.

for drinking water i remove the label off plastic soda bottles (clear 2 litre kind). pour water into them and leave them out in direct sunlight for a full day. this is a sodis (solar disinfectant) method to use UV light to kill microorganisms.

in warm weather it works, in cold weather i don't use the rain catchment system, instead i melt snow and ice on the woodstove and keep a drum in the cabin (55 gallons and always full)

Alaskaman
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 15:40

I have a 200/gl tank in my cabin and another one in the back of my "Water truck". There are lots of places up here that will fill up my tank for little to no money. Then I haul it back to the cabin and I use a little tranfer pump to fill up my inside tank. Add an RV pump and some pex tubing to the inside tank and Bob's your uncle.
I bet any fire department would be glad to fill up a couple hundred gallon tank for you for nothing. Up here it is all about freeze up. With my water in my cabin I'm never going to be the guy outside at -45°, under my cabin, b*tching about my water system. Being inside and in the mechanical room makes keeping the sunshine away real simple. It's just my woman and I, so 200/gl lasts us about 6 weeks.
I run the water through a Britta filter for drinking and have done it this way for years.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 10:32

nice wildman/alaskaman. sometimes simple is best.
the fire dept. let me fill up there for a year until I got my well sorted. Portable tank fills quick when you're using a fire hose.
solar disinfect idea is great. I might want to use glass containers though...

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.